This Disappears When Logged In

soaking snake

Discussion in 'Burmese Pythons' started by kcfeeders, Jan 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kcfeeders

kcfeeders Active Member

Hello I just got a 9ft burm with its enlcosure when I got it the water bowl
    was small so I put in a big tub so the burm could soak if he wanted and
    now the burm stays in the water he comes out once a day when I change
    the water but he goes right back he also has defecated in the water at
    least once a day for the last four days what do you guys think is there somthing wrong or is that normal for a snake that size the temps are
    around 80 by the water tub and the humditiy is 55% and he does not
    have a hide any help would be great thanks

2. venus

venus Founding Member

Sometimes when snakes constantly soak it could be a sign of shedding or a sign of mites. Have you examined his enclosure and him for tiny bugs, is he fixin to shed? Is his water on the warm side or cool side? Basking temps should be 90-95 with the ambient temps around 85.

3. Fran

Fran Veteran Member

Welcome to the world of giant long lived reptiles.;) As Marsha suggested, check for mites. The easiest way is simply look in the water tub and see if there is what looks like pepper floating on the water. If so, you have mites. A burm is a rather forgiving snake when it comes to not having your temps not quite right but don't take that as an excuse for not having it in a thriving habitat. I've had quite a few big burms over the years and a number of them I suppose, thought they were anacondas and practically lived in their water. Also, burms are notorious for pooping in their water.:p To get you started with your new burm read this....
    http://www.anapsid.org/burm.html

4. kcfeeders

kcfeeders Active Member

the water is a the cool side of the enclosure and the warm side of the enclodure is 90 should I bring up the temps he doesn't look like his is going to
    shed and I have not seen any mites in the enclosure and the water tub is black so if there is any in there I would not see them I will go get a white
    tub but I'm sure he doesn't have mites thanks for your help

5. kcfeeders

kcfeeders Active Member

Thanks for the care sheet Fran the book I have said that the temps needed
    where lower then the care sheet said so I will bring up the temps

6. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

He could be just thrilled to have a tub big enough to soak...and maybe doesnt want to come out incase it disappears...Good luck with the new burm....and post some pics when you get a chance...Lyn

7. kcfeeders

kcfeeders Active Member

when I change the water he goes back as soon as I put it in there
    I will try to get some pix of him today thanks

8. kcfeeders

kcfeeders Active Member

9. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

Awww he is pretty. I think he is just enjoying the fact that he can soak. He will come out....Lyn

10. kcfeeders

kcfeeders Active Member

thanks Lyn

11. geckoguy14

geckoguy14 Elite Member

looks like he's got the blueish eyecaps in that pic. It might just be the lighting but if not he's about to shed, and that would explain why he wants to soak so much.

hope that helps.

12. jshrad

jshrad Elite Member

Hello,

I agree, the eyes look very blue which means he will be going into shed soon, probably within the next week or so after his eyes clear up. Him soaking himself so much will be very beneficial to getting a complete (or at least close) shed. Just let him soak.

About him relieving himself in the water. Burms are known for not going to the bathroom unless they are in water which is why he is doing it.

13. kcfeeders

kcfeeders Active Member

thanks for the info the blue in the eyes shows only in the pic just to look
    at him I did not notice the blue I've only had him a week and a half so I'm glad
    he has a water dish big enough to soak in now thanks to all that replied

14. Lyn'sSteve

Lyn'sSteve Elite Member

kcfeeders,

It could be stress too. You say you just got it, and when we first got our first boa, he too spent alot of time in the water. And sometimes when we take him out to clean his cage, if spooked ho goes right for the water. Just a thought!

Steve

15. kcfeeders

kcfeeders Active Member

I thought it might be stress as well right now he does not have a hide
    should I add one to see if that helps when I get him out he hisses alot
    but he doesnt try to bite I would leave him alone but he uses the bathroom
    every night and I dont want to leave him in a nasty enclosure I have no
    idea how he was cared for before I got him but is useing the bathroom
    every night a norm for a big snake I have raised the temps a little so I will give him time and see how things go maybe he is getting ready to shed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.