This Disappears When Logged In

So I'm Going to Breed My Own Rodent Feeders And...

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by Sangheili, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Sangheili

Sangheili Well-Known Member

I've read the stickies on them and I've already got two groups of breeder mice in 2 ten gallons. [2 females, 1 male per cage] it's cleaned out weekly but man, I need to get them out of my room! They stink so bad.

Does anyone have any good "blueprints" for a Breeder rack system? I can't spend a ton of money. Maybe $150. [not including the breeders]

Could I make it like a snake rack and just use plastic tubs and have the "top" be tight enough so they can't escape with wire-mesh on the top for ventilation, or should I try something different.
    I have 2 40-gallon long, unused, snake cages with locking screen tops. Is that big enough for rat breeders?

These breeders will be out in my storage room, where it's away from my room, but it's also a little cold in there. Should I use overhead heat, or could I use heating pads?

2. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

3 mice in a 10 only getting a weekly cleaning IS going to reek. I don't have the dimensions on me at the moment but I used "sweater boxes" from anyplace the has large amounts of plastic totes. Roughly the size of a regular 20 gal on its side, wider than tall. In these I put 1 male and up to 3 females as a colony. Hard part was getting a team working together. That could take some time and you go through the process everytime you set up a new colony. Some males help out others don't, cull any mouse that shows aggression or unwillingness to work in the group.

To cut the smell cull males ASAP, soon as you know it's a male feed it off, their urine is the strongest smelling.

3. Sangheili

Sangheili Well-Known Member

I'm a little hesitant to use plastic because I've had a mouse chew through it before. Do you think you could take a picture of your set up and post it for me? I'm a really visual person and it helps a lot to see photos c:

How do you keep them warm? Mine do best at about 75F and I had one female that was giving me 14 babies and the other female was giving me another 13, it was crazy!

4. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Not sure if I have any images left of them, I'll take a look.

Yea it's fun watching the parents "surf" on a huge mound of pinkies. I averaged about 8 per but got a few high end spikes now and again.

I had my farm running while living in Alaska (1990 $2.50 per mouse) feeding 18 snakes, I was breeding KSB's at the time. I housed everything in the basement with avg temps around 65-75. I had 10 tubs with the 1:3 ratio producing an avg of 25 mice per tub every 3-4 weeks... and then all the snakes would go into shed at the same time ARRGGHH mouse over flow.... Lucky for me the feedstore I used to get bedding and mouse chow from also sold mice :) Live delivery in Alaska is very expensive and delivery personal can't read... IE mousecicles weekly... I just happened to be in the right place at the right time and was able to sell off my excess at a buck a piece. Paid for everything I needed a month LOL plus putting about some funds in the kiddy :)