This Disappears When Logged In

So Excited!

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by Wolfbandit, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Wolfbandit

Wolfbandit Elite Member

I know it sounds silly, but I'm so excited because my mealworms are finally starting to pupae!

I purchased these guys almost a month ago as 50 medium mealworms and ended up with about 150 super small mealworms. I stuck them on oats with carrots in their little container and have patiently been checking on them and waiting for them to grow. I noticed they were starting to get larger with LOTS of shed exoskeleton and was getting excited, but then checked on them one day and found two or three dead. Well, I didn't give up.

About four days later after finding the dead ones, I have three pupae! There are more that look like they're fixing to turn. I've moved the pupae into a pupae container where they will sit and change.

Gosh, I'm just so excited! I know it's silly, they're just worms/beetles after all. But hey! This is one step closer to not having to buy feeders every two weeks!

I do have a question, though. I know these guys need humidity and such to shed. Do they need humidity to exit their pupae state? And if they do, how should I provide that?

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

That is exciting news! Just think you'll never have to buy them again :)

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I think that you are getting mealworms and superworms confused. Mealworms do not have to be seperated and really don't need any special care. Just toss them in a plastic shoe box full of bran with some carrot for moisture and let them go to town!

4. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Here are the two for a size comparison;
    I'll have to get some photos, sorry!
    But mealworms are about 1" full grown, and superworms are about 2" when adult.

5. Wolfbandit

Wolfbandit Elite Member

I might be. I did a lot of research on both species to see which I'd rather raise. I've seen people separate mealworms out, though, like superworms. It's good to hear I don't have to supervise them as much as I thought, though xD

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

About the only timed I do any seperating is when I am going to fire up a new colony and feed off and clean out the old ones.
    I just remove beetles and pupae to a new container and let them do their thing.