This Disappears When Logged In

Snakes Found in Toronto

Discussion in 'Herp Awareness' started by kriminaal, Oct 26, 2011.

1. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

There was another episode of a few snakes found wandering in an apartment complex.
    First a ball python in a toilet(of course where else would it be) then a corn snake that came out of the wall.
    So begins the comments of reptile keeping again and that it isn't necessary and all should be banned.
    I commented and said BAN CATS. What a useless animal ;)

Anyone reading this, PLEASE secure your reptiles and protect them from the ignorance of furry pet owners.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Well said Mike! All it takes is an irresponsible owner to cause laws to be passed to strip us of our rights to keep these animals.

3. lit45239

lit45239 Member

Awww... Reptiles are awesome. I respect your promoting responsibility- but don't hate on the fuzzies (specifically CATS!)

Personally- I think (human) children should be banned. ;)

4. kriminaal

lol, yea sorry. I'm not a fuzzy person, unless it's rodents ;)
    Cats bite too much, they are scary.

5. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

This coming from someone who keeps monitors! ;)

That is ridiculous that two fairly innocuous species of snake got loose and it gets people up in arms. What about when someone's big scary dog gets loose and bites a child? No one's going to say we don't need to keep dogs! Don't get me wrong, I love the pooches, but I'd rather get bitten by a bp or corn any day of the week.

6. kriminaal

You're bang on there.
    I've been bitten by a dog in the back of my leg.

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I`m guessing cats don`t take to you very well Michael, even though you hold them in such high esteem. (I feel for you, I really do).....
    I get them doing their business in the garden I just finished clearing and making decent, I wish there was a law against it as there is with dogs, which aren`t allowed to foul the pavements or other areas, or roam free, it`s an £80 ($120 U.S) fine....
    Free roaming cats also kill millions of birds etc every year. Not my favourite animal either!
    Anyone reading this, please secure you furry animals to protect them from scaly reptile owners... ;)

8. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

Most places here actually do have laws that cats must be on leashes as well, but a lot of people tend to turn a blind eye. But if a neighbor reports the cat, it gets taken to the pound and if the owner isn't found, gets put down.

I understand why they have that law, but that still wasn't fun when my indoor cat escaped ._.

9. kriminaal

That's right Stefan. Cats know to FEAR me,lol
    I grew up on a farm and as a teenager, cats were subject to my wrath ;|(|
    Of course only the bad ones.
    It comes to responsible pet ownership in all cases. It just so happens that most cat owners I see are not responsible at all.
    We had cat licensing in my town for a year. Then they complained and it was removed. Huh???? Not sure how that works.
    I'm fine with reptile licensing with certain species.
    I believe that's the norm in Australia, correct Stefan???

10. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I do agree with licensing reptiles too, because it helps in a small way at least, to ensure proper care, they do come and inspect from time to time, not that they are particularly strict, and you need to have kept a certain species for so long, before you can get a license for another type (at least in Victoria, my state).
    I seriously think licensing cats would be a great idea, unless of course the cat owners disagree with it, and the law doesn`t get passed!! (Can you blame them)?????

11. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

awwww leave the cats out of this.

12. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Just a few irresponsible people who make it worse for those who care well for their reptiles. I think Toronto has pretty strict law about snake, correct me if I'm wrong.

Mike how can you not like cats? This is my zula, totally an indoor cat, I do hate cats that roam the neighbourhood pooping in my gardens, there should be a law for stray cats!

Attached Files:

13. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

LMAO, sometimes, I would agree, but then I would be out of work!

I think many types of animal, you should have some basic permit or license to keep it, with requirements getting stricter for larger or more dangerous species. Something like a corn or ball, they should just pass a basic Q&A that proves they know something about snakes. For an anaconda, do an inspection, etc, make sure these people know what they are doing, and can safely and securely house a large snake.

I have cats too, and they are both chipped. They are indoors only, but if they manage to get out, at least they have their chip, and I can probably get them back. I don't want them going after the songbirds I feed in my yard, lol. Or getting hit by cars (or in my area, trains) or abducted. Cats that go outdoors regularly tend to have much shorter overall lifespans anyways, and I want to enjoy mine for a long time.

14. kriminaal

Indoor cats are fine. It's the people that think they should be free to roam all over my property and vehicles.

Responsible breeders should be informing people of proper setup for anything. Some won't sell certain things to you if you appear to know absolutely nothing about their care.
    But of course, money always comes into play.

15. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

Irresponsible owners and parents should be banned! MLD Abyssinians should not be categorized as cats. Dog in a cat suit is more accurate!

16. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Soo true, if you hold his ears back, he kind of looks like a furry snake!;)

17. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

One, I've never seen a ball python that liked water enough to swim down a toilet and up into another apartment's toilet. (Mine can't stand being misted with a sprayer!!)
    Two, I agree that all types of pets should require permits.

Three, I also think that PEOPLE should be required to take a course in basic child development and psychology before being allowed to have kids...

Oh, if only I were queen of the planet.... ;)

18. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Yeah, if having a dog or cat requires a permit, then having a kid definitely should.

19. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

I 2nd the kid thing!!! So many people can't even teach basic manners to their kids now a days, man I hate that!

And having permit requirements forcing to show some knowledge about reptiles would save a lot from dying needlessly in my humble opinion.

20. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

I have five cats myself, and I love them to death! I will say however, that I do think they should be liscenced, just like a dog is! I also beleive that spaying and neutering should be taken more seriously! Feral cat colonies are a real menace, not only do they spread disease, they do kill wildlife and destroy property. The sad thing is, its not their fault, they are just too good at surviving, and they breed almost as fast as rabbits!
    They either end up being tortured by people, hit by cars, or mutilated by fanbelts in cars trying to stay warm.
    Its the same story with any person uneducated in the animal they are keeping. Reptile or mammal. It acts in a normal manner for that species, ie, cats scrtatching, or spraying if un neutered, and the person kicks them outside!
    People do the same with reptiles, as you all know! So, YES!! Regulate and require liscences for pets! It will benefit human and animal alike! Cheapskate humans will be less likely to impulse buy if they require additional paper work just to keep!