This Disappears When Logged In

Snake's First Shed

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by Carly Marlowe, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Carly Marlowe

Carly Marlowe Active Member

After taking all of excellent advice I have been given since joining HC recently, our pied ball is now in the process of shedding! I was so excited to see this happening, knowing her temperature and humidity were finally right and that she was now eating properly after being under-fed by Petsmart. Her eyes were blue and cloudy last Saturday (7 seven days ago). They cleared up on Tuesday, and so far the only skin that has come off has only been on her head. It is apparent that the rest definitely needs to come on off. I have kept the humidity up a bit higher, around 70%, and have added another stone for her to rub against. I have also given her a warm soak twice, which is how the eye caps and little bit on her head came off. Is there anything I need to be doing to assist this process and how long until I should see the entire skin come off?

2. Spencer

Spencer New Member

How long did you soak her for?

3. Carly Marlowe

Since I was unsure of the process I would say it didn't consist of much more than me allowing her to crawl through the sink several times and then gently drying her with a tail. She has a favorite place to hide and unless I take that out of her tank she pretty much stays in there. So far, she has only had minimal skin come off.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Ok old trick! Take a large soaking wet towel and place it and the snake in a wet pillowcase. Knot the pillowcase and leave the whole thing in the tank over night (not on top of the heat source).. The moisture and the snake moving around inside will help to remove the extra skin.

5. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Also, contrary to what seems to be commonly thought, bathing is does not help the shedding process, it actually removes some of the natural oils that help in the shedding process. As long as you have proper humidity, they will get the job done on their own. You'll know if you had the humidity right when the shed comes off. If it come off more or less in one piece, your good. If you end up with a snake with lots of pathes of skin still hanging on, you didn't have enough humidity. That's when it's time for the pillow case trick Merlin mentioned.

6. Carly Marlowe

How long until I should be concerned or take these extra measures to get it off would you say? I am surprised her skin didn't come off in one piece. Since finding HC and putting my first post, I received so much great information and advice. I finally got the temperatures manageable as well as the humidity, and I thought if I kept it around 70% it would come off with ease.

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, it might be a couple of weeks after the "pre shed" (eyes clouding over) that she actually sheds the whole skin.

8. Carly Marlowe

I just rubbed her gently with a warm towel and everything came off so easily except for the top of her head. I didn't want to force anything or aggravate her. Her coloration is so stunning. I've become a big fan of the piedball!

9. Carly Marlowe

So everything is off except for on her head and a little on the neck..should I try the pillowcase trick for this?

10. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

You can, but honestly its not a big deal. It will come off with the next shed if she doesn't lose it before.

11. Carly Marlowe

That makes me feel so much better, thank you.