This Disappears When Logged In

Snakes and religion

Discussion in 'Kingsnakes' started by joeking, May 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. actionplant

actionplant Elite Member

I'm a student of many sciences, about as anti-religious as they come. I really got into reptiles because there are so many differences AND similarities among other mammalians. Reptiles and other ectotherms are so very dissimilar from us, but still share so muny physiological characteristics...at once similar and yet so very different. The initial interest in studying something I knew so little about caused me to discover all KINDS of fascinating things about these animals and really grow quite attached to many of them. I can't think of a single pet in my collection that I could readily part with. That in itself intrigues me.

2. KrokadilyanGuy3

KrokadilyanGuy3 Elite Member

When it comes to religion, my thought on the whole thing deals along the lines of the Theistic evolution view. Meaning that the various processes of cosmology, abiogenesis, biological evolution, etc. happened just as scientists believe. However, they  are viewed as tools created, used, directed, and/or controlled by God in order to accomplish a higher purpose.

I believe the earth was created when scientist described it was; 4 and a half billion years ago and life started as simple organisms and the progressed into what we are now due to evolution

As for the snake issue with religious people, it varies. Some because of the bible and some because of phobia. My preacher told me that he use to shoot snakes on sight but realized long before he met me that snakes were God's creatures and he realized everything has it's purpose and neither's purpose was to simply be shot.

My town was small and my Church was just as small, so me being who I am and everyone pretty much knowing me, I helped change a lot of people's veiws on snakes when it came to religion. Others understood but a phobia is a phobia.

My interest grew with herps, snakes, because of a childhood experience and a Grandmother who believed no animal should suffer due to man's ignorance.

3. joeking

joeking Elite Member

Ah! Finally, the anti religious comes out! I was waiting for someone to say science science anti religion. It seem that most people who are against religion are really into science. Let it be known that I have my hates for religion and science so I don't fit in anywhere=( And I know several really religious scientists but once again I know bad religious people...along with bad science people who are a little on the thinking they're better then the other side. Never put the 2 together it's like 2 king snakes! Both might bite but in the end they're just going to eat eachothers butts off!

4. KrokadilyanGuy3

KrokadilyanGuy3 Elite Member

I'm for both, as my Religious belief includes the two.

5. actionplant

actionplant Elite Member

I'm certainly not trying to slam anybody with religious leanings here, but rather just stating my position. It's fascinating to me to see that even in our "hobby" if you will, people are all over the map. To be completely honest, I would have thought there would be more people than there are here holding to evolution, but it's all good. It's just neat that even in our little strata of society there can be so much idealogic diversity.

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I have always held that there is room for both the scientific as well as the spiritual aspects of our world. They do not need to be mutually exclusive. I personally accept the idea of evolution,... but with a twist. I just don't believe it was all accidental. Just as an artist or an engineer creates something and makes changes in it along the way, who is to say that a "creator," by whatever name, could not make something and then "tweak it" over the course of time to improve its survivability in the spiral of life and the changes in the ecosystem.
    Makes sense to me.
    But we digress.
    I was hoping for imput from some of our friends in other parts of the world and other religions with regard to how they veiw serpents in the scheme of their beliefs. Perhaps they have been on less friendly forums where they were slammed for the way they beleive.

I am very pleased with the way this topic has been handled!
    Thanks to all!

7. joeking

joeking Elite Member

Yes I was hoping myself for some people who had some other religion that doesn't deal with the bible and how most of the people in thier group views snakes and why theres differ...I also thought that more people here would be for evolution.

8. Dogboa

Dogboa Elite Member

I'll stand with evolution and my personal beliefs are just that, personal.

Craig

9. Manhirwen

Manhirwen Elite Member

To go along with what some of you are saying here's a quote from Albert Einstein.
    "A legitimate conflict between science and religion cannot exist. Science without religion is lame; religion without science is blind."

10. joeking

joeking Elite Member

I think people who were going to answer answered so I don't mind if you close it.

11. geckoguy14

geckoguy14 Elite Member

i'm a good ol' southern baptist and i absolutely adore snakes. My religious views dont change my views of snakes one bit but that doesnt mean that all of us see things the same way. Most everyone else in my church cant stand snakes...not for religioius reasons..but because they were brought up in the "chope head off first..ask questions later" mindset.

12. joeking

joeking Elite Member

Yeah it's to bad people don't ask questions first and react to them after they have the facts

13. scary916

scary916 New Member

I spent many years studying various religions and can also confirm that the majority of them have references to the 'evil' nature of snakes either directly or through parables. I went so far as to prepare for seminary school with one Christian church (the flavor of which is really unimportant) before deciding that the spiritual rather than religious path fit my beliefs better.

That said, I've always thought that snakes (and even spiders to some degree) get a bad rap from religion and mythology. I believe people see their natural traits: solitary, stealthy, emotionless, etc. as something to fear. In trying to rationalize their fear, they search for similarities to something else and finding nothing, label them 'evil' as it is a broad brush stroke that covers what they feel is an unquestionably acceptable thing to fear. To simplify it: If Evil = Fear, and Snake = Fear, then Snake = Evil.

My current belief is that snakes are created perfectly to add balance to their individual ecologies. Call it God, Call it Nature... I call it beautiful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.