This Disappears When Logged In

snakeOwner=Weirdo

Discussion in 'Kingsnakes' started by joeking, May 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Because humans have the capacity to make the choice to be evil or good.
    Animals just are what they are.

2. joeking

joeking Elite Member

Flies are evil=P

3. The D

The D Mango Empress

but they feed the frogs!

4. joeking

joeking Elite Member

They're feeding my blood to frogs=( I'm sure frogs can eat other things...let's over breed that instead and let the flies go down with the ark=P....maybe it was because they could fly?=P

5. Knox

Knox Elite Member

And Gnats... What the heck purpose do they serve other than to get in my eyes and ears when I am playing ball??????????

6. The D

The D Mango Empress

but fly's also feed the spidy's....
    and what are the kamikaze sparrows gunna chase after if all the gnats go away???
    besides, it's good to get gnats in your eyes! keeps those tear ducts nice and awake!

7. scary916

scary916 New Member

There are some great posts in here!

I got hooked on all things scaly as a small boy. I grew up in a rural area where a good summer day meant I not only caught several blue belly's but maybe an alligator lizard or two. In the summer at McCloud Res. in Northern California, the garter snakes come out in force. I remember being young, maybe 10 and as they sunned themselves on the rocks near the lake shore, I would catch them by chasing them into the water, grabbing ahold of them and when the turned and bit me, I could easily and gently pull them from my arm or hand and put them in my 5 gallon bucket.

When my bucket was almost half full, I spotted the biggie. I snuck up on it, and when it hit the water, I grabbed it and tossed it back up on the beach. I cornered it and caught it. It looped around my arm about 3 times and it's tail was still dangling. It was probably at least 4 feet. I went to show my uncle and his face went white. It was a gopher snake, but he thought it was a rattlesnake. I had to let them all go.

Currently, I have a gorgeous Cali King. I run a staffing company and he has a nice place in my office. It's actually perfect as the environment is perfect and it allows the people I interview in my office to see how cool a snake can be.

8. joeking

joeking Elite Member

I love the fact you have a snake in your office...I think that's an excellent idea to educate people.

9. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I'm not a snake owner but I would love to be (husband is terrified of them). I am a bit eccentric being an artist but I don't think I dress funny, but I don't exactly have much sense of style either.

10. JMM

JMM Elite Member

I´m just the regular grey suit guy during the week that has to deal with clients and their tax issues and try to escape on weekends - scuba diving, parapent (yes, I´ve tried), etc. Would love to try bungee jumping but I can´t risk dying with 3 kids so young.

Fishkeeping has been my "real thing" for the past 30 years and I´ve always wanted to have snakes, but that simply was not possible before, either as a single living with my family or in my first marriage. Today, it is.

So, I really don´t know if I qualify as a "normal snakekeeper", but... is there a pattern ?

11. ajvw

ajvw Subscribed User

I hadn't seen this thread before, but now that it's revived, I'll post...

I am a pretty average-looking, somewhat overweight (workin' on it), approaching middle age (with grace, I might add), suburban homeschooling mom. I will admit to being more of a lizard person than snake person, but I do enjoy snakes. I've gotten very good at catching them in the yard. I guess I just really love all animals. Nothing makes my day like seeing animals in the wild. I feel like it's a gift from nature to me.

So no, I don't fit the Harley-ridin', tattoo-covered reptile person stereotype. I am someone who prefers to be non-mainstream, though. But I can "pass" for normal pretty well.

12. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

Without reading the other comments so far...

Yes, to some extent, I consider myself unique. But I'm an artist. Artists are, by nature, very much on the excentric side. We tend to look at the world just a little different from the common number cruncher.

However, aside from tending to see the world in terms of color shades and line quality, and the occassional inspiration striking at an inconvenient time, I'm a pretty tame person. I don't have any tattoos, wear crazy clothes or anything like that. I hold a normal 9-5 job and I am almost always busy with my house, religion, art or books. (Or video games. I have a huge weakness for them.)

To be honest, I got my first herps as a child because I am terribly allergic to cats and dogs. To the point that just touching a cat briefly in open air can cause my eyes to swell shut. Reptiles are a very interesting alternative. I also like to do research, so I'm more than willing to look up how to care for such animals. I enjoy creating their homes for them, and watching how their behavior and personalities are so different for warm blooded creatures.

I do kind of resent that people think all snake or reptile owners are subversive freaks, though. (I have actually heard people describe us that way.) However, people as a whole tend to villanize anything they don't understand, so it doesn't surprise me.

13. ajvw

ajvw Subscribed User

Some of my best friends are subversive freaks...
    :D

14. mambaman

mambaman Elite Member

Im not goth and I keep snakes. But I dont like very many people.

15. joeking

joeking Elite Member

Wow I made this thread over a year ago and it's still going=P I don't even remember what I originally said but I love your reply luster haha

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.