This Disappears When Logged In

snakeOwner=Weirdo

Discussion in 'Kingsnakes' started by joeking, May 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joeking

joeking Elite Member

So while I was waiting at the vet the girl who owned the 80 pound Boa was talking to me and the assistants...She was going on about how she was not a people person and did not like being around people at all and had no friends and no offense to us but people were evil and she had a snake because people are evil...

I was agreeing with most of what she said but yeah...do you find that most reptile owners are a little high on the nut job chart? Why? I myself find that most reptile owners are a bit essentric if not in looks, personality. Why did you guys want to own your first reptile and do people view you as different?

I found I could relate to snakes and the misunderstandings about them. You can really find out who your friends are when your outside with your snake getting your dose of Vitamin D and someone walks by and are completely disgusted by you because of your snake...not just the snake...but you. Have any of you had this same experience?

2. HerpboyNY

HerpboyNY Elite Member

As far as looks go. It seesm that the people who dress gothic like snakes. I don't like that because they try to be associated with evil/devils and when they bring snakes into the mix it makes them look evil. As for me. I guess I dress in what could be called normal. I will come out and say I'm weird though. I'm antisocial and agree with the afore said views on people, but I would never say my owndership of reptiles helps me cope with that. I don't quite understand where she's coming from with that.

3. joeking

joeking Elite Member

Yeah I had to agree that a lot of people are evil and I DO like animals more then people. But I don't go around to people saying no offense I do not like you because people are evil...I like people but it makes me quite upset how close minded a LOT of people can be about some things expecially when it comes to the caring of animals and misunderstandings of reptiles.

4. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

I think I'm very normal with my snake addiction,,,,it's everyone else that DOESN'T own one that's weird,,,,lol. But you are correct, alot of reptile owners have that "look". I myself am a jeans and T-shirt kinda guy though i do have tattoos.

5. joeking

joeking Elite Member

Everyone has tattoos these days but I think people associate them with the 'evil looking goth snake owners' lol...I was going to get a tattoo...of a snake at that but everyone told me it wasn't suitable for office girl who was with the public because people well judge you for it and it can make your day suck. Gee I remember a old lady being disgusted by me because I had orange hair...ok maybe I'm not normal all the time lol...but it looked awesome! And then I saw someone who didnt want to eat at a fast food restraunt because a girl had her ears pierced and she thought that was dirty...ok...lady...you're in a FAST FOOD RESTRAUNT...anyway...

6. venus

venus Founding Member

No tats here yet either,,,but I'm almost there...but I still get the "Oh my gosh, you have snakes!!" I am an office manager for a physican and yes he thinks I'm weird to,,,,but at least i get to ship and recieve everything from the office :D..Jeans and tshirts are pretty the norm for me to...I agree, its everyone else thats weird :p

7. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Haha, Ohk, Im not goth, nor do I look weird..but I do act weird :D, I dress like everyother 19 year old chick does for the most part. No facial piercings, ears pierced and bellybutton. Brown, curly hair...and I still get that reaction from people when they ask me what Im into, and I say Reptiles...you know, they take a few steps back and force out that smile and say "oh..well thats nice" Alot of people just dont like reptiles, I would say if they had fur maybe people would think they are cuter, but come on..who wants to see a 30 ft. retic with fluffy patches of fur??

8. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

My husband and I went to a reptile expo here in Switzerland and were surprised to see the vast majority of people selling reptiles were "biker"-types with tattoos and piercings. (A lot of the buyers looked like that too.)
    I thought I was in the wrong expo and expected to see Harleys instead of cornsnakes!
    Now I know why people are surprised when they hear we keep snakes -- we definitely don't fit the "look" here. We're jeans and T-shirt people, non-smokers, no tattoos.
    My husband was willing to get snakes because they are clean, quiet, have no hair, don't do silly tricks, don't mind if you leave them alone all day and he doesn't have to take them out for walks.
    I like them for all of the above reasons and that they are elegant and mysterious. I am a social person and do not use my reptiles to alienate people... if anything I try to help them understand how interesting reptiles are. Most of the time they'll listen and ask a lot of questions. (I don't think they'd ask a "goth" why she keeps reptiles! It would be "obvious" and fit right into the stereotype.)
    I guess the weirdo reptile keepers just stand out more than the normal ones.

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Actually reptile keepers come in all looks and from all walks of life. Everything from bikers to school teachers and all points in between. Sure a lot of eccentric types of individuals do keep reptiles, but then again so do "normal" appearing people as well.

And the reasons for keeping them are as varied as their owners' appearances and lifestyles.

Part of our problem is that, throughout the media, reptile keepers in general are portrayed as weird, crazy, or downright criminals. I would not be at all surprised to find that many of the more radical appearing people get reptiles, snakes in particular, not because they are really interested in them but to further enhance their "image". You generally see these types out in public with their animals hanging around their necks irregardless of whether its actually warm enough for the animal and who take great delight in freaking people out and frightening them.
    They really do a lot to help our image.
    This is not to be interpreted as being true for everyone who is a little different in appearance. I myself have a non conventional appearance with waist length silver grey hair, tattoos and earrings.

10. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

I am an at home mom with 7 kids....I surprise a lot of people when I tell them I have snakes, lizards, etc. I just had a family party at my house yesterday (it had been a while) and my mother in law wouldnt sit in the living room because of all the snakes lol!!! She camped out in the dining room ....guess she doesnt like creepy crawlies like I do. But I dress frumpy but normal lol and I also sport a couple of tattoos...one of an iguana....Lyn

11. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Hmmm...I'd consider myself to be pretty average in appearance, but then again that is all a matter of opinion, and I hang out with alot of weirdos, so maybe it just gives me the illusion of normalcy.
    I work in a vets office that treats dogs and cats but from time to time I bring in my pets to weigh them or deworm or something simple like that and the evil receptionsit wont even come in the building when I bring my iguana, she stays outside and pulls weeds all day....even if its raining :) (which is fine by me....she's evil)
    But yeah shes not the only one....I've got alot of people who have treated me different once they learned that I have a virtual petting zoo. Alot are curious, but there are still those who cross themselves and promise to pray for me.

12. Manhirwen

Manhirwen Elite Member

I don't fit the "typical" snake or reptile owner persona at all then. I'm an alter worker and soon to be small group pastor at a church, I dress conservatively, have no tattoos or odd piercings and am also a stay at home mom. But some people I talk to don't understand why I own snake because they're "the animal the devil used to deceive Eve", those are mostly really old people though.:D

Reptile owners aren't weird, stereotypes are.

13. Disturbedcries87

Disturbedcries87 Elite Member

Yeah i dont think i fit the reptile person either, have no tatoos or piercing and i just started college and i have no harley sitin in the garage lol. but myself i just love reptiles and most people who live by me either understand or dont. In the near future i will have some tatoos though hopefully.

14. TaintedAngel

TaintedAngel Active Member

Bad Rap

I think that reptiles and their owners have had a bad rap from the very beginning. My dad is a preacher and he hates them with a passion. His reasoning: "God cursed the snakes and that is good enough for me" or the age old adage "the only good snake is a dead snake." I don't view myself as being a weirdo because I adore them. I love people and animals alike. I am a "teacher in training" and have tattoos that are only visible when I wear the right shirts (a sunflower and a dragon). All of my friends and family (with the exception of my brother) will not even look at him, let alone handle him. I live in redneck territory where you are weird if you don't have a mud crusted 4-wheel drive or ride a dirt bike and they go out of their way to run over animals (especially snakes) in the road. I do think it takes a bit of a rebellious and explorative personality to own the reptiles because they are not considered a "normal" pet.

15. The D

The D Mango Empress

I'd consider myself to look pretty average personally... it's the rest of the world that looks weird! with their jeans... and un-inked skin! lol.
    but it's true, i have found that people aren’t very surprised when i tell them i share my apartment with a 6foot boa, where a "normal looking" friend of mine gets constant "OH MY GOD"s when she talks about her snake collection, (she has 5) i guess singing in a metal band and having multiple tattoo's and piercing makes people think "well of coarse she has a weird scary pet!" i've never understood it though; in fact i was much more of a mammal person before i adopted my boy and discovered how much love and balance he can bring into my life. i guess preconceptions are everywhere, but what are ya gunna do?

16. replover

replover Elite Member

I walk around and people get disgusted by me WITHOUT a snake..

Also, it doesn't really matter anyway. Afterall, do you WANT to be like THEM? Who cares what they think? I have my CITES licenses and I can keep what I want legally.

17. joeking

joeking Elite Member

Wow thanks for the posts guys keep them coming. I really can't tollerate the people who are overly religious who think snakes are evil...what happened to do not judge? I had Joe brought to my college when I was in school because a couple people were interested in seeing him because I tended to talk about him alot lol. Anyway the prof was terrified of him and there were several profs etc who called in sick that day or refused to come into my school because I had my very tiny tiny snake there. I completely agree that it's childish to use your snake to scare people mainly because I'd be terrified they might lash out at him and he'd get hurt but I have this wicker basket with a toy snake that looks very fake that bobs up and down in it and I often lift off the lid quickly and say look and they always jump back...then I asked why were you afraid of that? My prof actually had a completely different opinion of him by the time we left I completely switched her attitude around considering joe is the most harmless looking thing ever. I find king snakes have a innocent look to them...I know to a lot of people that sounds crazy...But I think Joe is the most addorable snake ever!

18. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I know i hear that "snakes are evil", "snakes are the devil" crap every once in a while since i live in the "Bible Belt"!
    My standard reply is if they beleive what their bible says then god flooded the world to DESTROY ALL THE EVIL CREATURES!
    If snakes were evil then why are they still here?
    Usually shuts that up!

19. joeking

joeking Elite Member

hmm...Why are people still here? We destroy everything and then there's the evil ones...

20. Knox

Knox Elite Member

Well, if you have read my reply on the "snakes and religion" thread, then I am a pretty average guy - if not a "weirdo Jesus freak" compared to others :D .

I don't drink, don't smoke, have no piercings or tatoos, and am somewhat, to borrow and 80's term, preppy. Think Average Suburbanite, and you have me. And I love my snakes - and everyone else's, too.:eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.