This Disappears When Logged In

SNake ??

Discussion in 'Field Herping' started by jman, Jan 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jman

jman Elite Member

can anyone tell me approx. when the snakes start comming out of hibernation?

2. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

That all depends on the snake, whether or not you put it through brumation or whether it chose to brumate itself. Usually around Spring time - April, May,. one of our male BPs brumates himself and goes off feed for around 6 months. He came back up in May last year. Others will come up sooner, or you can artificially provide a change in temps and light to increase the chances of your snake coming out of brumation sooner, although it's quite safe to leave them to it, just change waters weekly and check on them every couple of weeks.

I've just read your post again and I think you mean in the wild, not in captivity as i earlier suggested?.. again, they should come out around Spring time, as the temps start getting warmer and days start getting longer. :)

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

So it will be different times depending on what part of the country.

4. jman

jman Elite Member

Is it normal that my cb snakes are not burmating? They are active

5. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,
    Brumation occurs when the reptiles sense a change in the barometric pressure and temperatures/light cycle. In many instances, reptiles will not brumate because we maintain optimal temperatures for them. Most brumation is induced by the owners. They limit the daylight hours and slowly reduce temperatures. If your temperatures and light cycles have not fluctuated, there should be no brumation induced and that would be normal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.