This Disappears When Logged In

snake

Discussion in 'HH General Discussion' started by Ryan, Dec 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryan

Ryan Elite Member

i am hoping to get a gopher snake and keep it in a large plastic tank and i wanted to know if using a uth would be okayor is there some way to make a top that i could put a light on?
    or i could use some ideas and or guidence on building a custom tank. i had an idea of using wood on three sides and making a glass hinge door, but then how would i heat it and how would i keep it from pushing the door open and escaping?

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

A heating pad for humans would work, I don't know about the heat tapes that are in the pet shops. Those may get too hot for a plastic bottom. If you make a wodden frame and stretch hardware cloth across the top you can use the light just make sure the top fits securely or the great snake hunt will be on!
    With the all wooden cage all you would have to do is make a frame where the glass could slide back and forth and put a stop on the ends to prevent it moving. With a hinged door regular dead bolts on either end would work. You would have to put the heating device inside the cage. This will require some sort of cage around it to prevent the snake getting burned. However Blackjack has discovered a problem with the heater cages. Check out http://www.herpcenter.com/showthread.php?t=2065

3. Ryan

Ryan Elite Member

thanx merlin thats all i needed to know
    also if anyone wouldnt mind posting pics of their custom tanks i would appreciate it very much

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.