This Disappears When Logged In

Snake To Fit A Vivarium?

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by Kiteman, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Kiteman

Kiteman New Member

If have finally persuaded my wife that we "need" a snake, and she has agreed to something in the general area of a corn snake (at least, that's how I'm interpreting "the smaller the better, and don't you dare buy a python!").

I was going to go down the route of choose a snake then choose the right vivarium, when it occurred to me that the ideal location for me would be on a particular shelf.

I have the necessary skills to construct a vivarium, but it would be an odd size compared to others - approx 75cm across the front, 25cm tall and 25cm deep.

So, is there a snake that would be happy in a tank of these dimensions?

There is also the option of removing a shelf and having the tank twice as tall, so it could potentially have two floors with a hole between (and probably some sort of climbing branch up through the hole).

(On a slightly related note, are there any health reasons against using cyanoacrylate super glue in parts of the construction? I would, of course, give the glue plenty of time to cure & air before adding the resident.)

2. Kiteman

Kiteman New Member

I forgot to add, if it makes a difference, I am in the UK.

3. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

No worries about the super glue, it's commonly used for saltwater coral fragments w/out any problems. As for the snake, a male sand boa would be able to live his entire life in that size enclosure. It's a bit small for the average corn snake, but male sand boas typically grow to around 60cm. That, along with their tendency to burrow, should make him a bit less threatening to your wife. (Out of sight, out of mind... lol.)
    Actually there are pythons (Children's, spotted, etc.) that only grow to around 1 meter. I imagine the "python" she's thinking/afraid of would be the giant retics or burmese. Beautiful animals, but not everyone wants a 6-7 meter snake in the house.
    A little larger enclosure would give you many more options. There are quite a number of corn and king snakes that would do well in a 90x45x45cm space. Taller enclosures are better suited to semi-arboreal species. I have a wee pair of Elaphe climacophora that are quite active and make use of the branches and different levels in their enclosure. My carpet pythons also like to curl up or hang down from branches unless they're soaking in the water bowl.

4. Kiteman

Kiteman New Member

Oh, thanks, I'd never heard of a sand boa.

5. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

One quick point about the glue, it is not really waterproof, unless it's a special formula I'm not aware of. Water will eventually degrade it, but when used in coral fragging, the frags will be supporting themselves by the time that happens. So the interior of the cage will need to be sealed.