This Disappears When Logged In

Snake spills venomous secrets

Discussion in 'The Library' started by Rich, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Examining venom from a variety of poisonous snakes, scientist have discovered why the bite of one small black, yellow and red serpent called the Texas coral snake can be so painful.

Read Complete Article ...

Use this thread to discuss the article above. What are your thoughts about Snake spills venomous secrets?

2. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

All very interesting. It's amazing to me how such little animals can create such potent venum. How they combine several element that result in being so toxic and yet they do nothing to them. We humanes still have so much to learn from animals, the funny thing is that studying them has given us remedies for stuff already!

Good article Rich!

3. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Great article!
    I'm just wondering, the snake in the photo says coral snake, but I thought that red to yellow was venomous and red to black wasn't
    That snake is red to black? Just curious!

4. Rich

"Red on yellow, kill a fellow; Red on black, friend of Jack."

This is true for species native to North America only. That snake may be from a different part of the world.

5. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

OK, Thanks Rich!
    I do remember reading somewhere about it being different in other parts of the world and I forgot about that.

6. crepers86

crepers86 Elite Member

I was woundering the samething. but I believe I read some where that the more acurret way to tell is a coral snake will have both the yellow or in this picture the gray ring and a black ring on its head, where as a king or a milk snake will have a one solid color.

7. Rich

I was reading this article and I am also skeptical of that snake. lol I was so curious about it that I tried to find out what species is could be and I think a mistake may have been made by science daily. That snake looks very much like a Grey Banded Kingsnake opposed to any corals I came across in my searches.

8. Komododragon12

Komododragon12 Elite Member