This Disappears When Logged In

Snake Shelf Heating

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by KelloggCornsnakes, Sep 8, 2015.

1. KelloggCornsnakes

KelloggCornsnakes Established Member

We're building a snake shelf for my 2 snakes, looking something LOOSELY like this: maxresdefault.jpg

Of course, we'll have to use under-tank heaters. Thing is, they won't actually be able to go UNDER the enclosure, since the shelves are wood. So, I have 2 questions...

1. Which kind of heat would be best? Heating pad? Heat cable? Heat tape?

2. How would the UTH be applied? We can't put it directly on the shelf, because it could burn the wood and possibly the snake.

We were thinking of sandwiching whatever heat-source between 2 pieces of glass (attached to shelf, snake can't move it or get inside as it would be sealed), but then how would we replace the pad/chord/tape if needed?

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

I have put a heat mat between two 12" ×12" pieces of slate tile with a thermostat probe in there too, and it worked well. The tile distributes the heat well, looks nice, and normally the snake shouldn't be able to move it. If you want to be sure the snake can't find its way in between, a few well placed dots of aquarium grade silicone should hold everything in place nicely. Just be sure to test the setup before applying the silicone. If you ever need to service it, a pass or three with an old kitchen knife or whatever should separate the tiles.

3. KelloggCornsnakes

KelloggCornsnakes Established Member

@Darkbird

Ah, tile! I didn't think about that. Thanks!