This Disappears When Logged In

Snake Recommendation

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by AJherplover, Jan 21, 2016.

1. AJherplover

AJherplover Member

Hi,
    I live in India, and over here we don't have a steady supply of mice, pinkies, or anything, especially no frozen. So are there any species that can do without mice or rodents, or are there any frozen mice sellers that ship international(which I highly doubt). Or do you guys think I should try to lizards like BTS, Beardies, or dwarf monitors, i.e. something that doesn't require rodents or bugs.

Thanks in advance

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I guess the first question I will ask is what food supplies do you have readily available?

Is breeding your own mice a possibility? You could always freeze them yourself (it helps kill most parasites) before thawing and feeding.

Do you have poultry (such as chicken, quail, or duck) available? some arboreal snakes will enjoy eating birds.

BTS, beardies, and most monitors will require rodent or bugs for food, even if you also feed other things.

3. Buggy0123

Buggy0123 Established Member

Theres only a small group of reptiles that don't require live food, but in order to obtain their food you would either need to buy their food mix or make it at home.

Kristof and Spencer like this.
  4. AJherplover

AJherplover Member

Actually now that you mention it, I did some searching around and found that there is a steady supply of live chicks, including duck, chicken, and turkey, but not quail as it is illegal to sell and eat where I live. Mice are not readily available in any form what-so-ever, although I contacted rodentpro and they said they will be catering to international costumers soon.

Are there any species that could live on poultry their whole lives, I'm just worried that most hatchlings or babies are too small for chicks.

Thanks for the inspiration anyway.

5. Spencer

Spencer New Member

Garter snakes can eat fish and worms.

6. Kristof

Kristof Well Established Member

I know Vine Snakes only eat green anoles, if those are readily available that might be a good option. They are really cool, but are rear fang venomous. It won't kill you to be bit, will just cause some swelling.

7. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

many arboreal snakes specialize in birds, and if they are to small to eat a chick, many keepers feed finches of various types - small songbirds, commonly available at pet shops, until it's big enough to take chick.

8. AJherplover

AJherplover Member

Is there any way to ween other species such as ball pythons or porphs (a long time favorite species) to chicks? Also could you feed the chicks live, cause I worry of parasites.

9. Kristof

Kristof Well Established Member

If you're worried about parasites I would freeze the chicks and then thaw out and feed. Freezing should kill parasites. I'm not sure if chicks can be a staple for these guys though.

10. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

No mice, then how about rats, particularly for ball pythons? Surely there's someone relatively local to you who keeps one or more snakes as pets. Anyone who keeps porphs will also have to have a breeding colony of mice, particularly if they're breeding the snakes. Baby ball pythons are large enough for rats but the smaller porphs would need to be started on newborn pinky mice.

11. AJherplover

AJherplover Member

I meant that there were no readily available supplies of rodents, frozen or alive. Unfortunately not many people in India are into keeping reptiles, many aren't even into keeping pets other than for show, or other "jobs". Till date I haven't met a single person in India interested in keeping any reptiles other than tortoises or turtles, and that's only cause their supposed to do good for your feng shui.

12. AJherplover

AJherplover Member

Thanks guys for all the help I found out that Big Cheese Rodent Factory ships international, so I will try and receive frozen rodents from them, and if I can't get anyone to provide I'll just leave the idea until I go back to the US for college. I think it's better to keep the animals healthy, than risk keeping them in less than optimum conditions.

Qwerty3159 likes this.
  13. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

That is a very good idea. Best of luck in getting a snake!