This Disappears When Logged In

Snake Poop Questions

Discussion in 'Blood Pythons' started by Releep, May 21, 2012.

1. Releep

Releep Elite Member

Well I've looked and looked trying to figure out if what I'm seeing is ok or not, but can't find the answers.
    When I first got my ball pythons and got them home I was sitting there watching them and noticed some odd breathing from one of them. They were housed together from the "breeder" that I got them from. So I mad a appointment with the vet that night they both deficated so I was able to take samples with me to the vet. She told me that everything looked good but that the one that had a RI had hair in its fecies and to make sure that my temps were right and that should take care of it.

Now to my questions is it normal to see hair in the fecies? It's been several months now and I still see hair in his fecies.
    Also a couple of days after my carpet python deficated I saw her poop out a hair ball.

Sorry for the long post just trying to give all the info needed.

2. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

they eat mice/rats it is normal to see some hair in the feces. Not everything is always broken down.
    Give us a rundown of your set-up...temps, humidity etc.
    What are you using to check the temp with?

3. Releep

Releep Elite Member

My temps are 87 give or take a couple of deg on the warm side with a basking spot around 93ish during the day.
    The cool side is 80 give or take a couple of deg.
    Night temps 83 give or take warm side 77 give or take.
    Humidity is 35~65% depending on the humidity in the house I'm still working on getting that a little more stable.
    They have a moist hide on the warm side and 4 other hides throughout the cage.

4. justor

justor Elite Member

Are they still being kept together? And how are you measuring temps?

5. Releep

Releep Elite Member

Yea they are still being kept together (there is a long story behind that), I am using digital thermometers that I got from Wal-Mart.

6. justor

justor Elite Member

The problem with keeping them together is that if one has an RI the other one is almost certain to have it as well. And if the other one is healthy it is only a matter of time before it becomes infected as well. Is your thermometer an Acu-Rite brand? Those ones are very good in my opinion.

Is the one that is known to have the RI getting enough time on the warm side of the enclosure? With them both being housed together you also have the risk of one being forced away from the basking area which will cause it's immune system to respond less effectively to the infection.

7. Releep

Releep Elite Member

The funny thing about these ball pythons is where one goes the other follows there is plenty of room for them to separate on the warm side if they want to but I usually find them all balled up together. My carpet python is in a separate cage from them.
    Yes Justor I have the Acu-Rite thermometers in my cages. As soon as I can get photos up I will my iPad won't let me load any:(

8. justor

justor Elite Member

I think there may be an issue with the sites photo uploader. You should be able to upload to a host site (photobucket, flickr, imageshack etc.) from your iPad (I use photobucket from my iPhone. They have an app), and then copy/paste the [ IMG ] code to place your pictures directly into your post.

You mentioned it's been several months since the vet visit. Does the one ball python still have the RI?
    You should try and get the two seperated as soon as you can. If they're hatchlings you don't need a huge enclosure. A simple 10 gallon will do for now. By the way I don't think you mentioned what size tank they are in right now?

9. Releep

Releep Elite Member

Yea his RI is cleared up the vet gave me antibiotic injections.
    The enclosure is custom made 48 long 24 wide 24 tall.
    So far no signs of RI in the other one.

2012-05-21164358.jpg

Attached Files:

10. justor

justor Elite Member

Thats a good sized enclosure, and it looks very nice too! But even though there may be "enough" space it is still much better to keep them seperate. It will prevent potential issues down the road.

11. Releep

Releep Elite Member

Yea I know like I said there's a long story behind why I even have two normal ball pythons and as soon as I can get the cash saved up I'm building 4 enclosures in 1 but first priority is feeding my kids you know how that goes

12. justor

justor Elite Member

So what is the story behind them lol?
    At petsmart a 10 gallon tank with a screen top is about $40. Just food for thought.

13. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

14. Releep

Releep Elite Member

Ok now that I have some time to get online and post here goes the long story lol.

At he end of last year I started building a cage in preparation for getting a ball python. I was also watching KSL classifieds for a ball python, I saw a add for two ball pythons about 70mi north of me I wasn't quite ready so I didn't call on it. The whole time that I was building the cage I kept seeing that add and it always cought my attention, so when the cage was finished I started calling on the adds either the ones that I called were sold or too expensive.
    After a week or so I saw the add for these ball pythons again and something told me to just call on them and at the end of it all I ended going and getting them. I had the intentions on selling one of them until a couple of days after I got them home and discovered that the smaller of the two wasn't in the middle of a shed that it was stuck shed, he had stuck eye caps, and a respitory infection. I decided that I couldn't sell him til I got him better so after taking both of the BPs to the vet and $250.00 later I had the antibiotic injections. With a little TLC and time I got him better, I decided to keep them together during treatment, while I was treating them I noticed that where one would go the other would follow shortly after that includes behind the couch under the entertainment center.
    When he was all better and it came time to sell him my wife convinced me to keep him (I think she got attached to him) so I set up a 20 long for him and they both started acting restless and odd I let that go for a week and when it didn't change I moved the smaller one back into the big cage with the bigger male and they both started acting better.

That's why they are still in the cage together.

15. marya1962

marya1962 Elite Member

I have to ask: Was it a reptile vet you took the snakes to? It seems unusual for a vet to not know snakes sometimes have hair in their poop. I'd like an explaination why it is of concern. Does it mean they are not digesting properly or perhaps too quickly? Just curious.

16. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You mentioned that the snakes were different sizes. How different? How big are your snakes?

17. Releep

Releep Elite Member

Yes Marya I take them to a reptile vet. I think it was the amount of hair. My carpet python poops out a hair ball at the end of the poop. I just took them back in and forgot to ask about it, she wants me to bring in some stool samples I'll ask when I do that.

18. Releep

Releep Elite Member

Merlin as for lengths I'm not real sure but the weights are as follows.
    Lumpy: normal male 888g.
    Skeeter: normal male 776g.
    Nibbles: female jungle carpet python 518g.
    And I just got a Halloween garden phase amazon tree boa for my wedding anniversary, Unsexed still a little small for my probes.
    It is 32g

19. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

I would try maybe keeping their temps up a few degrees at night just incase it has something to do with the hair. I've never seen one poop a hair ball by itself (I'm not expert just what I've seen). Some in the poop maybe but not just hair. I try not to let the temps go below 79 at the lowest in the cool spot. Just an idea, not sure about hair

20. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I was more concerned about the physical size difference. While not usual there have been cases of cannabalism by bp's.