This Disappears When Logged In

Snake Not Drinking?

Discussion in 'Corn Snakes' started by Khorne, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Khorne

Khorne Well-Known Member

By now I've figured I'm set, all my wild guesses that something is seriously wrong with him have been debunked (Thanks for that, guys), but I did notice one more thing off. He hasn't drunk, ever. I assumed that he was just not doing it in front of me, but while misting today he was attempting to drink the droplets quite hastily, as if he hadn't drank in weeks. I've never seen him out of his hide (Save for right now, he's out and about cause I moved his hides around in an attempt to make him drink.), or near his water. How would I fix this?

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

If you can handle it without stressing it, just put it's nose in the water dish and it will likely start drinking if it's thirsty. Some I've had don't seem to recognize a water dish right away. There's also the strong possibility that it's drinking and your just not seeing. It may have just liked the freshness of the sprayed drops.

3. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

yeah my iguana will do that a lot, ill see her go to her basin and walk around it lapping up water but when I spray her she will walk up to the nozzle of the sprayer and start drinking from it..... it is cool and if you don't truly know if she is drinking mist him more often as if he continues to drink the dropplets like that try spraying into the water dish while he is watching as he might acciciate the water dish with the spraying

4. Khorne

Khorne Well-Known Member

I'll try that on monday, as he's shedding now and just ate.

5. EriksExotics

EriksExotics Elite Member

My corn snake was exploring her cage and slid into her water dish and appeared to be drinking for a second and then she started thrashing around with her head under wwater and almost drowned herself.. Not the smartest snakes in the world but she figured out that she was not a fish and hasn't done so since.

My Ball Python will only drink if no one is in the room (I've seen him drink through the crack of the door and he retreated as soon as I walked in). I am guessing that yours is doing the same.

6. lisas

lisas Elite Member

Mine seems to recognize when I've changed the water (either every day or at least every other) and come up to it and drinks if she's thirsty. I also see her drinking during soaks quite often.
    I have a lizard that drinks from a spray bottle. I've never tried it with a snake, but if yours seems to like it, maybe you could spray water near his mouth every day and see if he drinks. There are ways to check if they are dehydrated - I googled it about a month ago to see if mine was (she wasn't).

7. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Mt snakes always go for fresh water. They don't seem to like stale water, even if it is clean.