This Disappears When Logged In

Snake Is Calm With Me, Not My Fiance. Why?

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by MadCheshire13, Aug 22, 2015.

1. MadCheshire13

MadCheshire13 Member

I rescued a ground snake a few months back and I am pleased to announce that he is doing great! He has shed a couple of times now and as far as I know, is eating the ants put in with him. My question is, why does Rumplesnakeskin freak out when my fiance tries to handle him, but chills out with me?

I've tried multiple times to pass him to my fiance but once I walk away he starts slithering all over the place. However if I collect him or just pick him up in general he weaves between my fingers and rests his head on a knuckle until I put him down. I know snakes aren't the brightest creature, and am just curious about the behavior.

2. Dan01

Dan01 Established Member

Maybe it has to do with the handling technique?

3. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

Could be scent, something about your fiance's hands doesn't appeal to the snake.

4. ferasaeva

ferasaeva Well-Known Member

My ball python used to hate my father simply because the scent of his dog on him. It's very likely a scent or even how your fiancé acts while handling the snake. My snake hates when I'm nervous about picking him up, it seems to make him uneasy. Try to have your fiancé wash their hands before and be as calm as possible. I hope eventually the snake will like them!

David McConley likes this.