This Disappears When Logged In

Snake In A Hurricane Evacuation ?

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by Lizzi2598, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Lizzi2598

Lizzi2598 Member

Hey guys, new here and brimming with questions. I bought my first snake, a normal corn snake, about four months ago. I live in south Florida, and last week, we almost had a direct hit from hurricane Matthew, which was a category four. Thankfully, it stayed offshore and we didn't even lose power. My family has been in Florida my whole life, and we've hunkered down through many hurricanes, but the last one was over ten years ago, and I pretty much forgot they existed when I bought the snake. We didn't evacuate this time, but I was at a loss as to how I should care for my snake in the event of a hurricane like this where I could be out of power for up to two weeks with no generator. Also, what if evacuation had been a necessity? We live almost directly on the coast. Evacuation is definitely a possibility. Since this wake up call, I want to have a plan for something like this. What would you guys do in this kind of situation?

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You are fortunate. Corns are native to your area. In the event of power outage...do not feed. They will not be able to digest. Supply water and keep warm as possible. If you have to make a run for it, bag the snake and put it in a box. The cheap Styrofoam ice chests make great transport boxes.