This Disappears When Logged In

Snake Immunity

Discussion in 'General Venomous' started by KrokadilyanGuy3, Nov 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KrokadilyanGuy3

    KrokadilyanGuy3 Elite Member

    I remembered a thread that a few of us were discussing a couple years ago about Lampropeltis, among others, immunity as well as venomous snakes' immunity to other venomous snakes.

    Well, I had an incident about a year ago where I housed a pair of western diamondbacks together. Both snakes have a huge feeding response and for one reason or another I ended up feeding while the two snakes were in the same cage. I usually seperate them because of this, but I can't recall why I didn't at this time.

    Anyway, the situation ended up being the female latching onto the male's head and she stayed latched on for a good 20 minutes. It wasn't easy removing the two snakes away from each other. Since the male had taken a full blown hit on it's head, I was sure he was going to die..
    I still have both animals..

    Now, I know both animals still inject because I switch up feeding from F/T to live (stimulation). I also have had both animals bite the handle of my snake hook when I've pushed them out of the way and left venom residue/droplets.

    Thought I'd share. I'll post the link when I'm home to the thread im reffering to.

    Also, just to note, he didn't react when she was latched on. Even when she dragged him around while I sprayed her down. Just sat there. Kinda sad.

    Zane
     
  2. Merlin

    Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

    Makes sense that they would be immune.
    Since they would be swallowing prey that had been envenomated!
     
  3. kenman1963

    kenman1963 Moderator

    really, i have never thought of that Merlin. Makes complete sense.
     
  4. bighog85

    bighog85 Elite Member

    It is pretty incredible that they can survive things like that considering just a little bit of venom can kill a human. I do school shows and things with my animals and I always bring a kingsnake because the kids are enthralled with the fact that that little snake can survive something that would kill them.
     
  5. KrokadilyanGuy3

    KrokadilyanGuy3 Elite Member

  6. Anthony14

    Anthony14 Elite Member

    I thought Venom was digestible and it only mattered if it got into your blood.
     
  7. Rich

    Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

    Thats correct. That is the exact reason that the term "poisonous snake" isn't accurate. venom must be injected into the blood stream and poison must be ingested or inhaled.
     
  8. Jarno

    Jarno Well-Known Member

    Thats a fact, also venom of snakes containes enzyme who normally work in the stomach.

    but these snakes build the same venom.
    only the reaction on the blood or tissue can kill it but they survive a lot ;)
    seen pictures of a rattler female in captive who ha'd a headshot of his mate.. straight in the head on top unbelevible it survived!

    gr.
     
  9. KrokadilyanGuy3

    KrokadilyanGuy3 Elite Member

    I had the same incident. Square on the top, fangs and all.
     
  10. chevyzilla

    chevyzilla Well-Known Member


    I know this is an old post but i thought i would chime in with my opinion. As most of us on this site that offers help to others with questions we would consider ourselves to be professionals and if we had a conversation between us then yes there is a difference between Venomous and Piosonous, and we would know that, however to the general public it really doesn't matter what word you use. According to Websters and every other major dictionary the definition of Pioson is ANYTHING that is introduced to the body that causes an adverse reaction is Poison and it doesn't have to be ingested although that is the most common way. If the poison is strong enough you can get enough on your skin and absorbed into the body then you will have the same reaction as if you swallowd it. The means by which it got into your body is really irrelevant but in our world they are infact different as stated. Snake venom is really a bunch of complex enzymes and yes technically could be ingested with no ill effects although i for one am not going to test that theory. I use the term poisonous all the time when talking to someone about snakes if they really don't know snakes that well because that is what they understand but if conversing with one of my fellow pros on here i would use the correct term, Venomous. The reason why the venom does not affect other snakes is exactly what you stated, the snake envenomates its prey and then swallows it so i think of courese it would not affect the snake, however there are different kinds of venom. If a snake with a hemotoxic venom were to bite a snake that has a nuerotoxic venom or visa versa then there may be some ill affects, maybe you will know that and could answer that one, i am not sure about that. Some non venomous snakes such as the king snake for example are immune to venom period and actually feed on other venomous snakes such as a Copperhead. Just so we are clear you are correct, a snake is venomous not poisonous.
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page