This Disappears When Logged In

Snake ID

Discussion in 'Garter & Water snakes' started by jmherp, Jun 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmherp

jmherp Elite Member

Could someone please id this snake for me, seems like it may be some type of garter, a buddy of mine caught it in his yard and brought it to me to help him figure out what it was... any help would be appreciated...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

awwww no clue what it is...but he's cute....Lyn

3. venus

venus Founding Member

lol...thats the samething I said to myself...:)

4. jmherp

jmherp Elite Member

How about Brown Snake (Storia dekayi) ???

5. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

possibly a checkered garter snake (thamnophis marcianus marcianus). where was the little guy caught ?

6. esbat

esbat Reptile Rescue Premium Member

7. venus

venus Founding Member

The snake was caught in his coworkers yard in Indiana, if that helps ID it any.

8. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

It looks a lot like the checkered garters I've seen around here...we get baby ones in the yard every year, and at least a couple of adults come into the garage now and then under the back door. They were once kind enough to eat all the mice that had come in that year (we had four of the little rodents making a stinky mess in the garage...cute but very messy, and they wouldn't go for the dog food we put in the humane no-kill traps we set. Suddenly we had lumpy snakes and no more mice...kind of funny :p , if sort of sad for the mice...). My husband rescued one little baby garter before he ran over it with the lawn mower, and it was so small and so cute. I held it for a while and it wrapped around my pinky finger and just held on. After my husband finished the mowing, I let it go again. Beautiful little snake. :) I'm not sure if yours is the same, but it's awfully close, if it isn't.

9. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

Our baby checkered garters look like this:
    [​IMG]

I think yours is similar, but not quite the same....maybe a different variety of garter...

10. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

It very much could be a brown snake. Looks a lot like one. They're very similar in appearance to some garters, but with only those two photos to use, and no offense, but they're not very clear, I can't figure it out for sure.

11. Lyn'sSteve

Lyn'sSteve Elite Member

Jayr,

I have no Idea, but it looks cool!

Steven

12. Venomous

Venomous Member

Cute snake. not sure of the species tho. good luck

13. deltro_star

deltro_star Elite Member

Im going to agree with FS and say its a brown snake (Storeria dekayi) since theyre native of the Midwest and that snakes bears an striking resemblance to this guy

P.S. he looks really ****ed off you should let him go

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.