This Disappears When Logged In

Snake ID

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by Helene, May 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Helene

Helene New Member

Hello everyone!

This is a bit strange, but my son is doing a habitat diorama for school (he's in first grade) and the animal he wants to use for the diorama is a little plastic snake he got from the Natural History Museum. As I recall, the snake came with a little sheet, long lost, identifying it. It was definitely supposed to represent a real snake. We need to figure out what kind of snake this is (or as close as possible) so we can determine the appropriate habitat. The plastic snake is a light tan color with a single green stripe going down his back. The head is small and rounded - not flat or diamond-shaped at all.

We'd love at least a clue that we could build a report on.

Thanks to anyone who has any ideas!

Helene

2. venus

venus Founding Member

Hi and welcome to Herpcenter. Maybe you can post a pic to give us a better idea. I am sure someone here can identy it for you :)

3. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

A pic would really help to ID it for ya. And welcome to HC !!!!

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

From your description the only snake that comes to mind is some variety of garter snake. As stated a picture would be helpful.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

6. Colleen

Colleen Elite Member

Welcome to Herp Center, I hope you find the snake your looking for!

7. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Haha, definitely a unique ID request ;) As the others said, a picture would help. I've had thousands of small plastic animal toys since I was little, and the quality and accuracy of the toy will matter a lot. Even higher quality toys designed to mimic a specific species can be inaccurate in their coloring (I have many a tiny snake and crocodile to prove it ;). Garter snakes are typically a darker shade on the side, with up to three pale stripes. I don't know of any light ones with green stripes. Then again, your description sounds like no snake I can think of. Often if the colors are off, the mold will be accurate though (or vice versa), so a photo may help a lot.

8. jimijaw

jimijaw Active Member

Welcome!!!! With out a pic Id have to go with Merlin and say some sort of Garter snake or maybe even a ribbon snake? Hard to do just by description but we try:D Jimi

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.