This Disappears When Logged In

Snake ID Please?

Discussion in 'Corn Snakes' started by Tas38, Jul 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tas38

Tas38 Elite Member

Hi all. This guy just showed up IN MY BEDROOM!!!! He arrived via my furnace register. Could someone tell me, is he a corn snake? He is lovely and friendly.In super good shape but I don't think cornsnakes are a local critter.Only thing close around here would be milksnakes and to me he doesn't look like one.

[​IMG]
    Here is the picture

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It looks like a cornsnake to me.

3. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

I'd also say cornsnake; probably someone in your neighborhood is missing one. :)

4. godzuki777

godzuki777 Elite Member

Cornsnake. Where do you live?

5. Tas38

Tas38 Elite Member

He is nice. I will keep him if he isn't wild. If he is I will release him. Very nice little snake.

Eastern ontario Canada. Near Kingston is where we live.

6. godzuki777

godzuki777 Elite Member

Wow. I have no idea were he could have come from. He looks very healthy.

7. Tas38

Tas38 Elite Member

I have an 18x18x24 exoterra and cocofiber for substrate any lights fixtures etc... I may need. Never had a snake but have other reptiles. Was going to buy a ball python for that enclosure.

He is gorgeous ehh? My basement is TEEMING with mice he has been living large down there man I am the luckiest person ever. Funny how reptile people think ehh? My friends said I should move out. I'm like what??? I get free reptiles here.LOL

8. godzuki777

godzuki777 Elite Member

LOL, we think very different than most people. My grandmother told me stories of people with huge amounts of snakes in their basement and they killed them all. I was like what, I would love to have a house with tons of garter snakes in my basement. A full grown corn will be good in a 20 gallon. I have one and I use paper towel bedding so that it is easy to clean. If you want a more natural look, aspen bedding is the best.

9. Tas38

Tas38 Elite Member

Well I tell ya I have garters and black rat snakes all the time in the basement. Gotta say the rat snakes freak me out. They can be huge. So is the exo terra a bad plan? I can get a 20 gallon tomorrow. I have an on going ad on kijjiijji and a girl just emailed me to come get one for 10 dollars. I can build or buy a lid tomorrow. Wow this was just meant to be. :)

10. godzuki777

godzuki777 Elite Member

LOL. Exo terra I think will be okay.

Your tank will be plenty big. It's about 34 gallons so thats big enough.

11. Tas38

Tas38 Elite Member

Okay so I think I am all set to keep this guy. All I need is to buy 2 feeder mice and soon I will have unlimited food for the guy. Going to name him/her Payne it is the brand name of my furnace. hehe

12. godzuki777

godzuki777 Elite Member

The mice in your basement might have parasites and be bad to feed to her but I'm not sure.

13. Tas38

Tas38 Elite Member

Likely that is what he/she has been eating but I am going to buy a couple pairs of mice and breed them won't risk wild caught, could have even had access to poisons.

14. Benn-bmx

Benn-bmx Banned User

Nice, definitely a corn.

15. Tas38

Tas38 Elite Member

I am telling you this was fate. What are the chances of a non local snake just showing up in a reptile friendly home via the furnace vent? Also, in the room where I keep all the reptiles? Maybe should name her Providence.

16. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Yep thats a cornsnake!
    Probably someone's lost pet as corns are native to the Southeastern US!
    They are not native to Canada.

17. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

I would definitely take a fecal sample to the vet to make sure that it doesn't have any kind of parasites already. Also be sure to keep it isolated from your other reptiles for about 3 months. (make it be the last one you take care of each day, wash up well, etc.)

18. Tas38

Tas38 Elite Member

Found a Veterinary Clinic in Kingston who has reptile vets on staff. Will head up next week. Upon further research we found an Eastern Milksnake which is from here and very much looks like this guy. I phoned Natural Resources and emailed a photo. The reptile guy will email me as soon as he gets his computer up and running. I may run over tomorrow and bring the little guy with me to have it checked. I suppose if it is local I should set it free :-( Oh well...

19. godzuki777

godzuki777 Elite Member

How is it local if its a corn snake????

20. Tas38

Tas38 Elite Member

No if he/she is a cornsnake, I will keep him/her. BUT the Eastern Milksnake are from here. I googled it and the similarities are many.

[​IMG]
    if this works this is an Eastern Milksnake

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.