This Disappears When Logged In

Snake Id And Some Other Pictures From Our Yard In Congo

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by ktwilliams_28, Sep 13, 2016.

1. ktwilliams_28

ktwilliams_28 New Member

I am not sure what the snake is. We live in DR Congo and these are a couple pics from the yard. Any ID's are helpful. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, the colourful lizard is a Redheaded agama (Agama agama), I don`t know what the small lizard with the broken tail is other than it`s a skink species. Not sure of the snake of Chameleon species but I will try and find out..

3. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

The chameleon is possibly C. senegalensis?

5. ktwilliams_28

ktwilliams_28 New Member

Thanks for the info

6. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

The snake might be some species of African file snake (Mehelya)

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Here are a few photos of Bothrolycus ater, I believe that is what the snake is (looking especially at the snout), even though it`s a "head-on" shot I get the distinct impression the snout is the same in the way the top jaw is on an angle in relation to the bottom jaw if looking at it in profile.

i-7572ac6601cf8605c8494a9cd1fff9a6-Bothrolycus-ater-KJ-Congo-closeup-head-resize-Sept-2010[1].jpg

8. ktwilliams_28

ktwilliams_28 New Member

I am told by the locals that it is mildly venomous if this helps. It is quite small and it stays small under 30 inches maybe.

9. ktwilliams_28

ktwilliams_28 New Member

The "skink" moved much more like a snake. The front legs are more long stubs. The legs didn't support the body but I am thinking were used for burrowing.

10. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi again, it`s now known that most colubrids are slightly venomous so that doesn`t particularly help in identifying the snake.
    I still think it`s Bothrolycus ater, it certainly doesn`t look much like a File snake (here`s a photo), although there are a number of different species.
    Keep your eye out, maybe you`ll see the snake again and get a few more photos!
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSMacYAJ8x1yNs1R-uw6BQfSl2YgvyjAMikmGIhuhWE8KZV_Q8g_A.jpg