This Disappears When Logged In

Snake for a beginer.

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by Dian_Wei, Mar 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dian_Wei

Dian_Wei Active Member

I am thinking of getting a Snake. What would a good beginers Snake be, and would would it cost?????

2. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

Corn snakes are by far the best beginners snakes....and in the US anyways you can get one for as little as $20 depending where you look. Ball pythons are second in my book because sometimes they can be picky feeders. Good luck! Oh and check out our care sheets on either species!

3. JMM

JMM Elite Member

Milksnakes and Kingsankes I believe would also be good snakes for you.

I don´t know the cost in Spain but here in Portugal (may be similar) you may find a corn, milk or king between 75 and around 150 euros (depending on species, size and pattern)

4. Dian_Wei

Dian_Wei Active Member

And how much would it cost to keep it fed (As I know that he has to eat frozen Rats and stuff)

5. JMM

JMM Elite Member

Very cheap. I pay 0,79 euros per pinkie/fuzzy.
    So, for the time being, 3-4 euros per month

6. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

Corn, King, Milk, or a Keyan Sand Boa. All great to start with. You can get 2 or 3 months worth of food for probably 5 or so bucks. Since they dont grow super fast and dont need super huge food.

7. cariba31

cariba31 Active Member

as said previously by other members corns (i have two) milks, and kings are suitable for the beginer, easy to take care hardy enough, corns tend to grow a bit more than milks and kings, but are more docile!

i don´t know the region of spain that you belong, but one of the most impressive reptile stores is in barcelona!

if you are nearby you should try and look out

good luck

8. EdiferiousRex

EdiferiousRex Member

Corns would be first. Red tails second. (Sorry to you ball fans, I do NOT recommend them)
    Balls are usually recommended for their price and size, but they have aggression issues compared to the larger red tails as well as feeding issues.
    Corns have fangs, though they are recessed in their throats, and are still considered constrictors, just don't go sticking your fingers down there :)
    Red tails get larger, so you have to be prepared for that.
    Both are cheap to feed, as juveniles they range from 2-4 dollars a month for me (USA) As Adults Corns stay cheaper (4-6 dollars a month) while red tails go up to 10 -20 dollars a month.
    Your largest cost will be your enclosure with any snake you're thinking of. And make sure that is set up correctly, don't be cheap there or your snake won't be healthy.

Good luck. :)

9. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Don't forget the cost of its enclosure, as well as any vet bills that may happen if the snake gets sick.

Where are you in Spain? I used to live in Castelldefels, just south of Barcelona. I miss it there.

10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I would most definately not recommend a red tail boa to someone as a first snake. They get too big. Many people don't have any idea how large an adult can get. Thats a lot of snake for an inexperienced person to handle.

11. nicole

nicole Elite Member

I second that vote!

12. joe_crash

joe_crash Active Member

Haha, My first snake was my RedTail Boa. I probably wouldn't recommend one to a younger person because of their size capability and strength. I love mine though. I waited till I was 29 to get my first snake. I'd recommend the same to anyone. Snakes live a long time, and if you buy one when you are too young (like in Highschool), what's gonna happen to it when you go to college? Be very prepared for a long term relationship with the snake of your choice. I'd would recommend Corn Snakes to anyone. I have 2 of them, and they are a blast! Good luck!
    Joe P.

13. Electrophile

Electrophile Elite Member

My first snake was a Brazilian rainbow boa and I lucked out with him as he was a very nice docile snake, always shed well, and was a good eater. Some do have not so great temperaments though. Jungle carpet pythons are also recommended in some "top ten lists" for relatively easy snakes for beginners, but the trouble with mine is she is always pulled back in strike pose and can be jumpy. I would suggest a corn snake (or possibly a king or milk snake) or perhaps a small boa constrictor subspecies like the Hogg Island boas. I'm not a big ball python fan. I hate wasting prey items on picky eaters and I don't find them all that interesting myself, but that's just me.

14. KTsCresties

KTsCresties Elite Member

Rat snakes...i had a wild caught one for a while and he was GREAT! Never skipped a meal, always shed, everything. Mine was a little dark one from TN that was found in a construction site. Plus corns. Ball pythons were my second snakes, but they were both (the pythons) finicky eaters, mostly because they were rescues.

15. Airion

Airion Elite Member

I suggest corns and balls. Corns are good eaters and great snakes but love to be on the move all the time and balls can be troublesome at times with feeding but are worth it and are more docile.Also i agree with red tail not being to great for beginners. Of course go for what you really want so that way you put your full heart into the care for it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.