This Disappears When Logged In

Snake Escape!!!

Discussion in 'Milksnakes' started by MorganLeFay, Jan 5, 2014.

1. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

Well about 2 hours ago I came back home after a day of celebration (my gran's 80th;) only to find Lancelot's cage empty (with a poo generously deposited in one corner). Obviously I freaked out since in my room there's about 100000000 places he could hide, including the very large wardrobe. I was worried he might burn himself on one of the pipes or get stuck somewhere and die of dehydration or sth. With my dad's help I turned over the whole room (including shifting the piano;), but he was nowhere to be seen. I was sooooo freaked out...But then I had a hunch and looked under one of the shelves in the wardrobe and sure enough, there was his little head poking out from inside a plastic bag, looking startled. Luckily, he was completely unharmed, but I certainly was in a state, lol;) He's being temporarily housed in a converted aquarium with a make-shift lid and he somehow found a gap in it and escaped. He certainly gave me a fright!
    Well, bottom line: SECURITY, SECURITY, SECURITY!!!!!!!

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Very lucky to find so fast. I went 3 weeks one time with a juvenile red tailed boa.

3. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Congratulations on his return. Snakes make me think that people need to house them in a tank inside a tank inside an empty room so that its easier to find when they escape...

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Yeah you can't scrimp on this. If there is a way out, they WILL find it!

5. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

Wow, well in that case I guess I was (but you were even luckier, finding him after 3 weeks O_O). I couldn't really give up looking, since it was about 10 o'clock in the evening and my mum refused to sleep in the house unless he was found, lol;) Plus I have a small dog who I would rather not mix with the snake :)

6. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

Or just use a quality cage instead of a tank! Worth every penny

7. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

So true! He used to be kept in a cube-shaped enclosure that was way too small for him and it had an entire wall made out of a metal mesh. I'm currently looking for a good quality, large enclosure, but I decided to move him to my old aquarium for the time being, since it has more floor space and keeps humidity better. I just didn't secure the top, lol;)

8. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

They usually don't go far, and tend to look for a tight, secure hidey-hole. When my BRB got out (and was gone for over a month) she was that whole time, only about 6 feet away from her tank. She never even left the room (that I know of, but I put flour lines down so I would see if she did, and never saw any 'tracks') Turns out she was hiding under a shelf that was sinking into the plush carpet, and found herself a nice cave, where she proceeded to poop and shed. Poked her head out when she was good and ready to eat again.

9. Senamian

Senamian Member

I had a creamsicle cornsnake do the same thing... VERY good at escaping. Didn't help that the ex (nitwit) was lazy with putting the lid on properly. Three escapes, one minor injury (who the **** leaves an exacto knife open?!), and the last escape I swear he had purposely left the lid off just to spite me. Luckily she always went for the closest hidey hole. "There's a snake in my boot" was no longer a joke... It was reality :p Now I have a "touch and die" policy with my reptile's enclosures and of course my reptiles LOL.

Definitely see if you can find a better enclosure :) It'll save you a ton of hassle and worry.

10. Merlin

You can use a tank with a screen top. You just have to secure the lid.

11. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Always remember, they have nothing else to do all day except look for a way out. I have watched animals go over every millimeter of a new cage, pushing against everything, to see if they can get a spot to give. Funny too how they are so keen to get loose, then only go 6-10' and stop. Congrats on getting it back so quick.

12. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

So expand the snakes cage by 6-10' and then they wont need to escape...just think an entire room for one corn snake.

13. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

Ah, but that's not the same as the refreshing taste of freedom! And the satisfaction of getting out on your own, mmmm...forbidden fruit is sweetest!
    And even if you give a snake a whole room it will probably escape from that as well, lol:)
    2014-01-07 18.50.43.jpg
    Back in solitary confinement...;)

14. Merlin

They would still look for a way out,...and find it.

15. Merlin

They would still look for a way out,...and find it.