This Disappears When Logged In

Snake Eat Itself :S

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by josh94, Dec 1, 2009.

1. josh94

josh94 Well-Known Member

Hey i was just looking through the paper and there was an article about a king snake that had began eating its own tail, and because of its teeth it couldn't get the tail out its own mouth when he realized and had to be taken to the vets ,and was saved (i did try uploading the picture but cant find my usb)
    So has anyone else experienced this with a snake of theirs or heard of any similar stories?....

2. wgnelson

wgnelson Elite Member

Highly improbable! It has about a 99.9999999999999999% chance of happening.

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

That number means it's highly probable ;)

I think you mean the chances of it happening are one in a million?

(I know you can google pictures of snakes eating themselves (cali king), and though the pictures look legit to me, I can't say for sure they are, because I did not take them myself.)

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Actually I have seen pictures of it happening. And the snake in question in my pictures actually died. It was a hatchling and was beleived to have had some neurological problem.
    In a normal situation a snake is quite capable of backing off of a self inflicted bite.
    Or of trying to swallow prey that is too big.

5. josh94

josh94 Well-Known Member

In the article it said that the vet had to dislocate its jaws to get it free again , but in this case the snake had survived.

6. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Heck, my little hybrid dude has been known to bite his own coils from time to time, but has no trouble letting go, or figuring out that it is NOT a prey item. I have a hard time believing a healthy snake would progress so far...

7. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

I once had a juvenile Jamaican Boa (Epicrates subflavus) start to eat itself by mistake, it had a prey item in its coils, and took it all into its mouth, but after a short while it realized that this was not going to end well, and it "let itself go" and rearranged itself to begin on the mouse again in a more sensible manner!

I also have seen and heard of this happening, but not with a healthy animal.

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Not to mention that articles in newspapers are often NOT the most accurate in what they present!

9. josh94

josh94 Well-Known Member

haha yeah i thought it was a bit odd :p

10. JasBalls

JasBalls Well-Known Member

I actually had this happen in 04' I bought a het axanthic male. His first feeding for me he took a rat pup off a set of tongs. I checked on him 20 minutes later and he was eating himself! I mean he could not go any farther then he had. I grabbed him and he slowly backed his way out. I paid like $750 for him and was in shock.. But, He turned out ok and one of my (trash cans) ate anything and everything! So, Yea it can and does happen..

11. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

ACR reptiles had a Carpet python that had started to eat it's own tail while in the egg. So it can happen. They have a photo on their website of it.