This Disappears When Logged In

Snake Doesn't Like Eco Earth?

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by annaj328, Feb 24, 2016.

1. annaj328

annaj328 Elite Member

I just moved Santiago into his "big boy" enclosure over the weekend. Ive had him for 3ish weeks and i got sick of fighting the temp swings and humidity in the 10 gal plus he seemed kinda cramped. His new cage is a 36"-18"-12" exoterra. I have a heat mat on a thermostat set to 91 on the warm side and the 75watt lamp is on a dimmer currently at half power to help keep up ambient temps up on the cold side. The coldest corner of the tank, in the back right is about 76-77. Right under the lamp is 84ish. There is plenty of heat for little dude but he seems to prefer to be off the ground tied in knots around the cold plant. This morning he was on top of the plant on the warm side but tonight he's back in the cold corner. He doesn't seem to ever be on the tank floor which is very frustrating to me for some reason. Could he not like the new substrate? It's ecoearth, he was currently on aspen. Is he just settling in? Why does he want to be cold?
    IMG_20160224_191611225.jpg

2. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

If I'm not mistaken it's quite common for boas in their younger stages to spend more time in plants and climbing about.

Dragoness likes this.
  3. annaj328

annaj328 Elite Member

Yeah I'm probably just paranoid...it just worries me that he spends all his time on the cold side and im mildly irritated that he won't explore the beautiful cage I made him o_O

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Young boas are very often semi-arboreal.

It would benefit him to provide a basking spot up high, where he prefers to hang out, to ensure he isn't always cold.

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

what kind of boa is he? unless he is a dwarf subspecies, that cage won't be a good long-term solution for him.

If he is a dwarf subspecies, it'll probably be fine.

6. annaj328

annaj328 Elite Member

He is central American, his mother is pure Nicaraguan. Breeder told me he would top out around 4-5ft. So I figured a ball python size cage would be appropriate. He's only 2ft right now.

7. annaj328

annaj328 Elite Member

Ok I just got home and wedged a piece of cork bark onto one of the sticks in the middle of the cage. It's near the heat lamp that is supplementing the ambient temps on the cooler half of the cage. It probably won't get up to the warm side temps but at least it's warmer than the the plant he's sitting on top of in the absolute coldest part of the cage. Hope he uses it.

Attached Files:

8. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

sounds about right. My central American male (9 years old) is just shy of 4 feet long.

Hopefully he uses it.

9. annaj328

annaj328 Elite Member

Santiago is making much better use of his habitat! This morning he was warming up on top of the cork round and this afternoon he was wedged under it hiding like I intended. I had fed him a large meal on thursay and i was worried that him being so cold would cause him to regurgitate. He seems fine now. Thanks for all the help!

Dragoness and Qwerty3159 like this.