This Disappears When Logged In

Snake Bruise Not Healing?

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by Thrax, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Thrax

Thrax New Member

Hello. I am new to this forum but I have been a long time herp keeper.

I need advice for my red tailed boa, she has a bit of hog island in her.
    The main issue is a bruise that has not healed for at least 2 or 3 months. The injury occured when I was feeding her in her cage and when she grabbed the rat, she fell sort of sideways onto the edge of a shelter pot. I tried to move her but she made it clear she just wanted the rat at the time...

Over the next few weeks the bruise appeared and it has stayed there, changing color slightly to now a brownish in the center. The scales there look like they are sort of deformed somehow... is that just the healing? Does she need medical help?

Also, I was carrying her through a doorway without watching her head, and she bumped the side of her head not too hard.. she didnt look very hurt at the time but now after this molt this spot on her head didnt shed and it appears that the eye scale is stuck in the side of her eye, blocking part of her vision. I am sure this is distressing to her. Should I try to pull the scale out? Moisten it first? Leave it?
    I know I am a terrible pet owner for letting this happen to her, I just want to help her get better.
    Any advice is welcome. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

I'd just keep her husbandry on point and allow her to heal over time. Unless the skin starts turning red or swelling the bruise should heal up on its own. I'm not an expert, but I don't see any indication of infection, so antibiotics aren't necessary.

3. Thrax

Thrax New Member

Thank you for the response, toddnbecka. Somehow I thought it would take longer for a reply!
    That's good that it doesn't look infected... But in my haste posting this I forgot to mention what made me think it could be infected. She actually had some sort of a yellowish discharge into her water dish. Sort of a gel stuff. And when I saw her after that her tail end was coated with dried up white liquid, presumed diarrhea(this made me concerned she was unusually constipated). But since then she pooped out the rest of that meal, the black part. So I don't know if this is actually of concern or not.

I am still curious if anyone thinks I should do anything for the eye-scale that is stuck on her eye. Naturally it should fall off eventually?

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I recommend taking the snake to a decent vet, just because "it doesn`t look infected" or too serious, better to be safe than sorry.

5. Thrax

Thrax New Member

Thank you murrindindi,
    I will take that into consideration. But these vets can be costly.

6. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

The stuck shed will come off with the next shed if not before, but the fact that it wasn't a clean shed in the first place has me a bit concerned. What are you keeping the cage humidity at? And if it's really bugging you, you can put it in a pillowcase with a wet, but not dripping, towel and tie it shut, then just place it back in the cage overnight. The moisture will help loosen the shed and moving around inside should get it off.

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

If the animal needs a vet you have a responsibility to provide all the help necessary, whatever the cost (no offense).

8. Thrax

Thrax New Member

No offense taken. There are reasons I hesitate to just bring the snake to the vet. My cat recently died of cancer and along the way the docs were charging for unnecessary tests and meds that all together helped kill the cat quicker, without even correctly diagnosing the cancer. When the cat was on its death bed a separate hospital diagnosed the cancer.
    I would hope that others experiences with vets are better overall.

Considering this snake has healed bruises and such with no problem in the past, I might make the judgement to wait a little bit. If the injury looks any worse I will be in the vet asap.

Thank you Darkbird.
    This looks like a very effective way to remove the scale that is stuck on her eye. I keep the humidity around 70 usually. The rest of the shed came off in one piece, except for a half inch area behind her left eye, where i bumped her, and the eye scale, which is just attached at the corner. Since it is blocking part of her vision, I will probably try this.

9. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

The risk of infection is not to be overlooked. It could be a result of the skin having been broken, even a small puncture or laceration, could have turned into a bigger problem. If she managed to break a rib, it might be causing injury/infection/hematoma at the site, and a Vet could clear it up, but do make sure it is a good reptile vet.