This Disappears When Logged In

Snake Ban

Discussion in 'Reptile Law - Legal News' started by CountTripula, May 29, 2011.

1. CountTripula

CountTripula Elite Member

can someone explain this are they banning them from anyone owning them or are they just banning the transportation? if they are just banning the transportation i should be able to buy the nine species in a local pet store right?

please and thank you for any and all help

2. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

Banned from buying them, selling them, or transporting them. Snakes you already own would be safe supposedly, but if you had to move states... it would not end well :( I don't think you are even supposed to rehome them, but I could be wrong. It would be very bad, basically.

So, for the sake of my sweet boa, Nathan and I are absolutely not moving state. Thank goodness we live in the big freakin' state of Texas, where both of our careers of choice are pretty big here! (game design and concept art down in austin!)

One would be able to buy them now, but not if the ban was passed. Which we hope it will not be.

3. Cryssy

Cryssy Elite Member

This ban is country wide? When will it be known if it has passed or not?

4. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

Country wide, which is absolutely silly. Absolutely no risk of big giant snakes running wild in Alaska. Or even any state north of Florida.

The inside story on the proposed snake ban; U.S. Fish and Wildlife Ignore Science check this link out, it talks a lot about the ban.

There are a lot of problems. Say you lived at the edge of a state, and needed to take your snake the the emergency vet. if your vet is just over the state lines, even 5 minutes away, you are committing a felony.

It hasn't been passed, but this time it's been dangerously close. I have been trying to do my part to let my voice be heard.

5. CountTripula

OMG this is so idiotic! i have a constrictor! and i do wanna move later on but i will not risk losing my baby! I dont understand why they would want to do this when the snakes really harm no one other then whats under their food chain everything must eat. I could care less about the money that is being made i feel more for the animals. I eventually wanted to get a mate for my girl athena but if i dont get on it i apparently wont be getting her one. i am so gonna voice my opinion this is just awful!

6. Cryssy

Cryssy Elite Member

Just finishd reading the article. Wow, people can be so close-minded. There are plenty of examples I could give about similar extreme activists trying to twist things to achieve their own agendas where I live. So, all I want to know is what can I do to help? Because I'm not about to give up something I just fell in love with.

7. CountTripula

i totally agree

8. powerman659

powerman659 Active Member

Join USARK I know that helps, there fighting this for us. Everyone needs to do everything they can because I know no one here wants this to pass. I sure dont. That would even put several people out of job...that would be horrible if all they did was breed...they would lose everything they have worked there whole life to get.

9. Yurusumaji

Yurusumaji Elite Member

Are there any other links about this ban? The one posted here doesn't work for me and when I tried to look up an article through Google I got hit with some massive Malware that I just spent the last half-hour cleaning out of my system.

I did read that this guy is from Florida and just trying to tack these specific snakes onto The Lacey Act, which is a federal law already in place. Is that accurate?

10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member