This Disappears When Logged In

Smelling Dissability Or Normal?

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by PrestonHM, Jul 18, 2016.

1. PrestonHM

PrestonHM New Member

So i have a ball python, my first one. I've had her for about 2 months. Everytime i feed her, she takes about 5-10 minutes to become active. I used to have a Red-Tail Boa, and as soon as we got home, he would be looking. So im just wondering if its normal for her to take that long. She eats normally and shes healthy, im just seeing if its a ball python thing or a dissability.

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, can you give details of the conditions including ambient and surface temps and the humidity range, also what time of the day or night you normally feed the snake and which prey you offer?

3. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Hi there. The details murrindindi asked for would be quite helpful for us to make sure there isn't a husbandry issue causing the problem, but it doesn't sound like anything too far outside the realm of normal ball Python behavior. I often take the tub of rats into my snake room and leave it for anywhere from 10-30 minutes, the smell usually has them all going and ready to eat by then.

4. SomeLizardsInABucket

SomeLizardsInABucket Well-Known Member

Balls are picky eaters, I've heard of success when putting them in a dark container with air holes or a paper bag. I highly suggest switching to frozen/thawed food, as live prey can fight back. Normally the snakes come out with only a scratch or two, but there have been horror stories of live food killing the snake. Also, freezing will kill any parasites the rat may have. Some balls won't accept dead, but the can be taught. My snake adjusted very fast. Since snakes find there way with their tongue, and their tongues are vital in finding food, make sure the ball can tounge flick it a few times to decide it is pray. DO NOT use your hands, as you can have a hand mistaken for prey, since it has a hest signature and prey scent. As long as she does eat, without loosing large amounts of weight, and she is nice and round, it's entirely possible she just feels relaxed enough to eat at her own pace, not frenzy for any morsel of offered food.

5. PrestonHM

PrestonHM New Member

The Humidity is about 53% according to my guage. Temperature is 83° F. I feed her usually around 1:00-3:00 pm. I give her live, white fuzzies

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

What type of hygrometer are you using and what`s the surface temp at the basking site?
    Why are you trying to feed a nocturnal animal in the middle of the day?

7. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Nocturnal animals won't come out to eat in the middle of the day. Always fed at night n no issues.....

8. Borislav

Borislav Member

I'm far from an expert but I've had success feeding at night.

9. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

Tell that to my carpet python or Dumeril's boa, lol. Those two will all but beg for food when they see me moving around cleaning rodent tubs, regardless of the time of day. A couple of my Dominican red mountain boas are more likely to wait until the lights go out to come out for food, but of 23 snakes nearly all will happily eat whenever food is offered. No personal experience with ball pythons, closest I have are a pair of Halamahera Island ground boas. They seldom move much even when picked up and handled, though they don't roll up into a ball, lol.

10. SomeLizardsInABucket

SomeLizardsInABucket Well-Known Member

Well, with the questioner having had the snake for two, probably three months now, I wouldn't be surprised if it's still not eating. A snake once went 22 months in the wild without food. My Arizona Glossy Snake, despite being more of a diurnal snake, prefres to come out at night. It's 5:38 in the morning here and she's stretched out across the front of her 20 gallon long. Guess it all depends on the snake.

11. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

It really does, I have green tree pythons that will only eat at night, and some right next to them that will try and eat anything at any time.