This Disappears When Logged In

smartest herp

Discussion in 'General' started by grim, Aug 27, 2006.

?

smartest group of herps

1. snakes

11.3%
  2. lizards

71.7%
  3. turtles

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. tortoises

3.8%
  5. crocodilians

13.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

This poll and discussion is regarding currently living species and has nothing to do with dinosaurs.
    Please keep the discussion in the present time.

2. KrokadilyanGuy3

KrokadilyanGuy3 Elite Member

Sharks, many other types of fish (including the caregivers) and parrots are considered intelligent.

Now say your gecko’s name while not being visible and try saying it’s name while completely ignoring it. Most people suggest their animal’s know what’s what when in terms the animals are reacting to an obvious action or the presence of a certain source.

Ok.. Try getting your Gecko, some chameleons and a handful of skinks to step back twice and the spin after showing the animal a yellow square or having the animal jump up after presenting the smell of Orange juice. Let me know how that goes.

But it could be, and all animals that inhabits this behavior happen to be of some sort of higher intelligence within the regards of the saying group.

Either way, like I've said, visible veiw of things are over analyzed or over subjected. When it breaks down to a scientific database, that's where you will learn the truth. In which case, why is everyone choosing lizards?

3. kremlinator

kremlinator Banned User

"This poll and discussion is regarding currently living species and has nothing to do with dinosaurs.
    Please keep the discussion in the present time."

Merlin, I did NOT mention Dinosaurs...I mentioned the ancestors (or probable ancestors) of turtles to illustrate the point that this is in fact comparing apples and oranges. It applies.

"Ok.. Try getting your Gecko, some chameleons and a handful of skinks to step back twice and the spin after showing the animal a yellow square or having the animal jump up after presenting the smell of Orange juice. Let me know how that goes."

-I don't have to. Ever seen Cirque du soliel? Oh wait, no...no. Those are PEOPLE. lol

I concur with you on the breakdown of scientific facts.
    I picked lizards cause they are the coolest by an observed margin.

4. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Strangely enough I know the exact reaction you speak of Taz loved Cheetos (also not part of his diet, but he was a crafty little brat and didnt like staying in his room)

5. KrokadilyanGuy3

To be honest, excluding science, I'm biased as well.

6. Miss_Unique

Miss_Unique Elite Member

My vote goes for Crocodilians.. I've read that Crocodilians' brains are the most developed brains among all reptiles!

7. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Really, when my cham did math..1+1=11, 1-1=11 and 2+1=...well you guessed it..11!!

And my "lifeless pile of scales" just happens to be a well respected brain surgeon. Go figure!

8. kremlinator

kremlinator Banned User

9. grim

grim Elite Member

I picked varanids because ive seen my nile monitor do some inexeplicably smart things. After the time he got loose and i put him back in the tank, he immediatley remembered how he got out and went to the exact same place in the cage(which had now been escape proofed) and attempted escape again. He also figured out how to hide in a blind spot of my cage when i opened it so i couldn't find him then when he got a chance he tried to bolt out the top of the enclosure again(ive observed him doing this several times) One of his more favorite tricks now is the flicking of dirt directly into my eyes when i open the the top of his tank.(though this could be more of an instinctive behaviour) he uses the chance to bolt out of his cage if he has time. If i ever rearrange the inside of his enclosure he spends a whole day testing it for areas where he could possibly escape. Some of that could be instinctive behaviours but the remembering exactly how he escaped seems rather intelligent for a herp, to me anyways.

10. kremlinator

kremlinator Banned User

my gold skinks do the same thing...lol. They are supposed to be slow, stupid and lethargic...what gives with all this energy and intelligence?

11. jmherp

jmherp Elite Member

Lizards all the way!!!

12. joeking

joeking Elite Member

Lizards and I'm giving a pretty stupid answer here it's because sometimes they just look like they're deep in thought

13. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

I would definately go with lizards too, never kept a monitor, only a computer one, so wouldnt have that experience, but my lizards always seemed smart in some ways.

14. joeking

joeking Elite Member

Yeah haha I found it so funny when my friend said they got a montior and I got sooo excited for them and was just about to asked where he got him until they said it was a flatscreen and then I got a little sad...and whiched I had a flat screen lol

15. rbl

rbl MacGyver in real life

I've seen on TV one amazing trio of crocs that learned to recognize their name and would respond to the keeper's orders.
    And although I haven't seen any lizard do that, I voted lizards because some species among lizards seem pretty clever to me.

16. Knox

Knox Elite Member

Snakes are my favorite animal, but lizards are definitely the smartest.

17. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

Of all mine, I think Frederico, the chameleon, was the smartest. He was pretty cool in a detached way.

18. KrokadilyanGuy3

Crocodilians.

19. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

hahahaha zane....just because of that radom post ressurecting the dead. You win....well i mean crocodilians.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.