This Disappears When Logged In

Small Spots Drying Up on Savannah Monitor Back

Discussion in 'Herp Health' started by Jsander12, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Jsander12

Jsander12 Member

My sav has recently had small spots on it's back "dry up". I don't know if they actually dried up or if it's something else. Any knowledge on the subject would be appreciated. Just trying to clear the spots up.

Attached Files:

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I can`t see anything clearly, can you crop the pics in the area/s to zoom in?

3. Jsander12

Jsander12 Member

They're very recent so they're pretty tough to spot but the look like faded old skin. Kinda of like shedded skin but he just shed not too long ago. image.jpg

The temperature is about 90 on the hot side and slightly cooler on the other end. The basking spot does get to about 140 some days. The humidity usually hovers around 60-70.

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Just to be sure, is there a pale patch near the front right leg on the shoulder, then a few smaller spots going down the left side, if yes, it may be a fungal/bacterial infection?
    Can you show a pic of the whole enclosure and tell me the type of heating/lighting you`re using and how you`re measuring the temps and humidity (I need to ask to get a clearer picture of the conditions you keep the monitor in).

5. Jsander12

Jsander12 Member

photo 1.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    There's a 150w for uv light and a 75w heating light for basking. The humidity is usually between 60-70%. The hot side of the tank is usually around 90 degrees with the basking around getting up to 140. The cooler side is usually about 10-15 degrees cooler. There is also a UTH under the tank. We're about to build its permanent home but until then I just wanna keep him healthy as can be!

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Thanks for the photos, do not take what I say as an insult, it`s not, I need to get the important points across as clearly as possible, it`s URGENT conditions are improved. ;)
    Almost nothing about the tank is suitable for this animal the way it is now, from the all glass fish tank (poor insulation), the screen top which means you cannot control temps or humidity, the high wattage bulb (an MVB?) is drying out the air, the substrate (whatever it is?) is much too loose and shallow, the analogue gauges are inaccurate, possibly as much as 15%+.
    How are you measuring the surface temp and humidity, and how big in cm or inches is the tank?

7. Jsander12

Jsander12 Member

The tank is 48x13x21. Hopefully I'll be able to put my new cage together sooner than expected. As for now, do you have any recommendations on what to do until the new setup is finished? Different lighting, specific substrate, diet, or medication? Any tips for keeping this tank livable while the new tank is setup would be greatly appreciated.

8. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I need to log out quite soon, can you tell me how you`re measuring the surface temps and humidity, and is it the height or width that`s 13 inches? I will offer some suggestions before logging off.

9. Jsander12

Jsander12 Member

I'm measuring the surface temp with an infrared temp gun and the humidity with a digital hygrometer along with 2 analog hygrometers for comparison. The cage is 13" wide and 21" tall. Sorry I took so long. I thought I had written a reply a few days ago but I guess I never posted it haha.

10. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi again, have you done anything to cover the top yet, and you still haven`t said what the substrate is?
    How are you keeping the humidity between 60 and 70% with the mesh top?

11. Jsander12

Jsander12 Member

The substrate is 50/50 top soil and play sand. I think it helps with the humidity quite a bit and he has vast tunnel systems throughout the cage. The top is still screen mesh because none of the local stores carry tops for tanks above 40 gal around here.

I've only been able to cover them with towels on the side without lamps. The substrate is 50/50 top soil and play sand. I think it helps with the humidity and he's dug out vast tunnel systems throughout the cage. He's always digging haha

12. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Why can`t you fit a piece of plywood or plexiglass over the top of the screen, I`m sure wherever they sell it they would cut it to size either for free or a small charge?
    It`s extremely important you get the proper conditions in place asap, their health suffers from day one.