This Disappears When Logged In

Small naturalistic experience

Discussion in 'Substrates/Bedding/Flooring' started by rbl, Jan 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

And Ricardo please keep us updated on how the stuff works out for you!

2. Colleen

Colleen Elite Member

Sometime I can be nice, but don't let me, being nice spread or everyone will expect me to be nice. LOL

3. rbl

rbl MacGyver in real life

Will do! For now I'm still waiting for it to dry.

4. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Yeah my geckos just choose their own spots to do their business...except for Scooter, he goes where ever he feels the urge. Once they established a spot I just put a paper towel down and it makes it easy to switch out.

5. rbl

Only today the substrate shown some signs of being dry. The weather didn't help and I didn't want to speed up the process and run the risk of drying it unevenly.

At first glance it looks really hard and compact. Pressing my fingers against it doesn't leave a mark anymore. The log also feels really secure but this is a new substrate for me and not having any first hand experience with it, leaves me uneasy when it comes to move Y in.

So I decided to do a stress test. See for yourself =)

[​IMG]

In case you don't notice it, the enclosure it's on its side against the wall =)
    [​IMG]

6. Colleen

Colleen Elite Member

Thanks for the update, keep up posted! This looks like a fun thing to try.

7. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

I also use NT's savanna sand for my leos. The reptilium here also sells it's own mix of sand/clay. Their mix is very good. I've checked with a few people here and it doesn't seem it's avalible in the states but I was told a mix of natual clay and fine grain sand will provide the same results. A friend who works at the reptilium stated they use a 2:5 Clay to sand mix by weight.

8. rbl

Here you go: a recipe for your own substrate brand =) And considering the available sand products, with the right clay type you can make this kind of substrate in any color you like.

Titus, did your friend stated which kind of clay do they use and where they get it? Any hints on the best way to mix them would be nice.

9. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I've been trying to find some clay as well to use but have come up short. I've also tried a kitty litter that is 100 percent clay (contains no chemicals whatsoever) but it's not working out when I put it in my mix.

10. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

From what I can remember he stated that they used Natural red clay, I know there's also a gray clay that could be used for lighter colors, but natural clay colors are limited. They are both easily found but often sold in bulk.

11. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Most hobbyshops have a sculpting clay taht is air dried. I have seen it in terra cotta color.
    Or if you live in some place with natural clay deposits I suppose you could always dig your own. Our Oklahoma red clay is famous!(or should that read notorious?)
    I beleive they have the same stuff in Georgia.

12. rbl

Last Sunday I took the feces I collected from the first two weeks or so and check them for signs of ingested substrate.

The ones from the first week show no sign of sand like it would be expected and the ones from the second week are also clean. I dissolved these ones in water hoping that would reveal anything but apart from another weird experience in life, there was nothing else to point out.

I'm going to start feeding him exclusively on the ground, to see if anything shows up in the next batch of poo. If not I'll keep an occasional eye on them for the next months and declare the experience a "success".

13. MissRissa74

MissRissa74 Active Member

Well, I'm new to this, but I love your design and the clay idea seems to be working well for you! Good luck!

14. rbl

Thanks! =)

So far so good! The gecko is safe, has shown some improvements like I've described before, the enclosure is more aesthetically pleasing so seems like a win-win situation =)

There are also unconsidered factors now that made me really curious about the development of this.
    It's still very cold for a serious test but from what I saw, this might turn out to be a very interesting solution to keep my reptiles cool in the summer time.

15. reptibeginer

reptibeginer Member

say guys can't you just take natural earth clay and mix it with play sand say 70s to 30c or something along that line for my experience whith the red earth clay it is almost like dirt when it drys out and before you bake it just let dry and crush to powder mix in sand to right amount add water until you get the consistencey you want it should be the same thing as the stuff he use

this is all just guest base on what i know about clay and what i know about mixing cement if anyone tries it let me know

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.