This Disappears When Logged In

Small Dubia Roach Colony Help

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by JoSePh329, Dec 5, 2013.

1. JoSePh329

JoSePh329 Member

I will be breeding dubia roaches for my leopard gecko and possibly my friends gecko. Could i separate the males in one tub and females in another and nymphs in the last one when i have too much nymphs to feed? After i am low i will introduce them back together.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Just leave them all together. You can slow breeding down by reducing their temperatures.

3. JoSePh329

JoSePh329 Member

But won't they die because they need heat?

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You aren't taking the temperature down that much! For housing and breeding you want to go 80-95 degrees. Dropping the temps down to 70-75 will slow and even stop the breeding.

5. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Or if you find yourself over run with roaches but you still want them breeding then feed off more of the adult females since they are the ones that give babies.

6. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

It's for leos, don't think that'll work. That would be one heck of a leo though.
    The best thing to do when you have too many bugs is just to get more things to eat them! ;)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  7. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

ah well then sell off the extra adults on craigslist.

8. milo0

milo0 New Member

I know it's a little late to this thread, but I would just leave them at a ratio of 3 females to 1 male and let them breed. If you become overrun, stick them somewhere cooler in the 70's to slow down the breeding rate. Mine usually stop breeding at temps below 75 so it's an easy fix. If you want to stunt the nymph's growth rate, do the same and put them somewhere cooler.