This Disappears When Logged In

Slurry for CWD

Discussion in 'Herp Health' started by Dragoness, May 11, 2011.

1. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

My CWD is aging, and has developed cataracts in both eyes over the last month or so - consequently, she has a very hard time eating anymore. She can't see anything

I decided that I would at least try to feed a slurry to her by means of syringe. If she will willingly eat that way, I have no problems doing so daily. I will not however, start tubing or force-feeding her. Last night, I made an improvised slurry of turkey baby food, sweet potato baby food, Pedialyte, and a sprinkle of reptile vitamins, and she licked it right up for me.

I'm going to get a sutable small blender so I can liquefy pinkies, cockroaches and crickets to add to this, as well as some collard or other leafy green. I'm looking for any input on the recipe - I want it to be as complete as possible. If there is something else that would be beneficial, or that I am overlooking, I would be happy to hear it. I'm using the turkey baby food as protien until I can get insects and pinks liquified (Mom would kill me if I used her blender for this)

If I add collard or other green, should I boil first? or would that lose some of the nutritional value?

I'll feed her this way as long as she will take it, but if she starts to refuse to eat at all, I'll be taking her in to the vet to ask what he recommends - which will probably be euthanasia. I don't think she has much time left, but I don't want to give up on her just yet, especially if she is willing to eat for me.

Thanks for input!

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Since you are using a blender to liquify it I would say feed the greens raw. But check first. As tough as collards are they may not liquify well, never tried it. If so than boiling them would soften them up.

3. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

Greens , even in a blender, end up plugging the syringe.
    Talk to your vet about critical care for herbivores. Ive been feeding it mixed in a/d for some time now. Its dehydrated, so you just add water and mix it with your protien source.Its nutritionally complete, and the bag I have is barely gone at all.
    Good luck , sorry your dragon isnt doing well.

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Other than being blind now, she seems to be doing fine - she seems to have no problems finding the basking spot. After getting some food in her, she seems to be perking up a bit. At first I thought she was just off her food again, watching watching watching, noticed her eyes clouding up. Mom took a look, and said it was cataracts. (Mom used to be a vet tech- now she works on people) Will give my vet a call about critical care, or see if I can order it online. Don't know if it requires a prescription or not.

As to collard (or any of the good greens) It doesn't have to come from a syringe - that's just what I have been using because her food is liquid. She'll lick it off her nose, so I could spoon it on too, I just think boiling would soften it a bit, and make it easier to get into her.

I always knew her skull was a little deformed form having MBD when she was younger, but it was worse than I thought. Her teeth don't even line up, and because her mouth is misshapen, there are lots of creases and pockets where they shouldn't be - we are all very susrprised she doesn't have mouth rot all the time. That does explain why she was such a finicky eater - probably couldn't chew half of her food, or even bite it very well...

She had seen previous vets, but mostly, she had other problems (eye, skin, etc) when they glanced in the mouth, they were only checking to rule out infection. I don't think anyone ever gave it a real close look before.

Poor lizard has a lot going against her, but maybe she's more of a fighter than I thought. All this time I thought she just wasn't interested in food, she had good reason for it.

At any rate, she was bright green again, and basking when I checked on her this morning.

5. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

Thats great if she will eat it from a spoon!
    I think you do have to get it from a vet, but they do have a website. The company is oxbow nutrition. They also make a carnivore formula.

Maybe she just needs soft food, thats not so bad.
    Reggies eating is intermittent, so I only syringe feed as needed. I gave up on tube feeding because
    A. Its too stressfull
    B. He bites the darn tube in half while its in his esophogus.

Its not very fun trying to retrieve somthing from a snapping dragon mouth, lol.
    When he was weaker, the syringe feeding was easier, and probably necessary, but now he is much stronger.
    He eats from a syringe very well fortunately.

How old do you think she is that she has cateracts?

Since she will eat from a spoon, Try one of those magic bullet blender, there is a generic one also.
    I have one, and I have pureed greens with the coffee grinder attatchment. It does make a nice pulp, it just dosent go through a syringe well, but if she is eating from a spoon, that dosent matter.

6. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I know she is at least 5 years old - she has been with me for 3 years, and her previous owner for 2. I do not now what age she was when she came to the previous owner, but she was mature when she came to me. So, at least 5, possibly more. They said she laid a few eggs (never has for me) but I question their ability to differentiate between eggs and urates....

Her rough life may well have shortened her lifespan, but cataracts shouldn't pop up in a young dragon.

She will often lick food off her face if I smear it on her. Failing that, if I can get it in her mouth, she will usually swallow (seems to prefer soft foods though - I tried that with finely shredded fruits and veggies once just to get her to eat some - no luck.)

I'll contact my vet tomorrow and see what can be done. I do not know if he will require a visit or not (I'd prefer not, just to save some $, but if it's necessary, she can visit again.) Hopefully, he has some in his clinic, and ai won't have to wait for some to arrive, or drive a long distance to pick up some at a specialty store.