This Disappears When Logged In

SLR lenses?

Discussion in 'Product Questions' started by Tha3rdman, Dec 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tha3rdman

Tha3rdman Elite Member

Well my lovely caring thoughtful wife, got me an early x-mas gift, the canon xti w/ the 18-55 lens.

Now it has been years since I owned a SLR and never owned a D-SLR. I had a Minolta 5 something or other back in the early 90's (that i gave to my mother), and that was after the tried and true canon AE-1 that died from a dry shutter box. I had a 70-200mm lens for the Minolta. But as I started looking into lenses for the XTi I notice they have 18-200's which to the best of my recollection wasn't even possible in the 90's. So I'm looking at Sigma or the Canon brand the sigma 18-200 or 18-125 (being it is internally focused as is the canon USM's) has my eye, but the more i play with the camera I like how it saves all the settings into the picture file (Aperture, iso, shutter speed, zoom) will the Sigma's feed the camera the settings as a canon brand lens does?

But then the IS lenses are kind of a nice thought as well, though it's not quite the range or the sigma, the 28-135 IS USM lens is the one i have an eye on. Or ditching the wide angle portion of the zoom and going for the 70-300 IS USM.

Thoughts Ideas Recommendations?

Thanks - Paul

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,

Hopefully someone understands everything you wrote and responds. lmao You lost me on the first sentence when you named the camera and lens!

3. venus

venus Founding Member

Yea what Rich said :p....I know nothing about cameras other than to aim, focus and shoot. Lacey is the exper, she'll be along soon :)

4. BRIZZY

BRIZZY Banned User

That's a hot camera your lucky!

5. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Congrats on the XTi, I shoot with the XT (I like the XT better, but i'm biased because I haven't played much with the XTi)

Go with the IS lens. It costs more but is worth every penny.

Right now I have the kit lens (18-55mm) and a Canon non-IS 70-300mm telephoto. The tele is really big and hard to work with unless you are shooting in VERY bright light and even then it has a shortest focusing distance of over a meter.

In the next couple of weeks I will probably be upgrading my glass collection to include a 50mm f/1.8 prime lens (about $80 and worth every penny) and a Canon 100mm macro IS with a USM. *Drools*

I could go on for hours...if you decide to go with non-IS lenses then look into buying a speedlight and maybe an RC-1 cordless remote to reduce camera shake.

Here's my photostream: http://flickr.com/photos/moshpitrockchick/ most of these were taken with the kit lens unless otherwise noted.

6. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

You lucky dog. A really want a descent D-SLR but they are kind of pricey. My suggestion is hold on to that wife--she's a keeper.;)

7. Tha3rdman

Tha3rdman Elite Member

Oh yes I'm quite aware of that :D

8. Joe

Joe Elite Member

One thing you will have to get used to if this is your first DSLR is the way the sensor works....on the old SLR cameras when the lenses says 70-200mm that is what you got on a Canon DSLR that equates to 100-300mm.....so you can get away with shorter lenses and still get good distance on them.

If you do go for a long telephoto then def. get a lense with IS, worth its weight in gold, this will allow longer exposures, normally upto two stops....

Canon 100mm macro IS with a USM, will be the next lense I get lol Heard nothing but good things about this lens

9. Tha3rdman

Tha3rdman Elite Member

I like this site, http://photozone.de/8Reviews/index.html , but i just needed som real world opinions, lab work is great but . . .

As macro goes I had my eye on the MP-e 65mm but 900 dollars for a lens that so specalized I dont think I'd get the use out of it, to make it worth while.

10. Manhirwen

Manhirwen Elite Member

Congrats on the camera, though it's all greek to me.

11. IGGYOWNER

IGGYOWNER Elite Member

congrats on the camera. took me a lil bit to figure out what you were talkin about at first. i no nothing about cameras. i was getting into them but my school got rid of photography as a class so i lost interest. anyway congrats sounds great!

12. Moshpitrockchick

*Drools uncontrolably* I LOVE macro photography. B&H photo and video has the MP-e 65mm for $799, I just can't bring myself to spend more on the camera lens than I did on the body.....

....but my birthday is coming up if you are all feeling generous ;)

13. Tha3rdman

Tha3rdman Elite Member

I'll buy you one if you buy me one.

14. Joe

Joe Elite Member

Ah yes but the body is just there to hold the lens....the lens makes the magic happen, the body just proccess's the info.....plus as long as you stay with canon bodies your lenses will fit when you get a better body.....the lens will out last the body an always worth getting the best you can afford

15. Moshpitrockchick

That makes perfect sense but I still can't justify spending more on a lens than I did on my first car. (I miss that car)

All of this talk about lenses makes me want to go take pictures but it is so cold out...and my 'studio' (read: spare space in the basement) is full of junk.

16. rbl

rbl MacGyver in real life

Going a back a bit in the conversation I would add that when it comes to change lenses, digital is nothing like analogic where you can change lenses any time, any place. With digital, you should change lenses in the most dust free environment possible and only 10 minutes after switching the camera off, otherwise the static electricity will suck the dust in onto the sensor.

With that in mind, choose the best combination possible for the kind of photos you will take. If your are a portrait lover, choose the 70-300. If you want a all round lense, go with one of those 18-xxx.
    As for your remark "18-200's which to the best of my recollection wasn't even possible in the 90's" you are forgeting that you need to multiply the lens value by the sensor factor, which means that that lens is actually a 28-320mm.

17. Tha3rdman

Tha3rdman Elite Member

Rbl,

I thought the same thing the last time i had a SLR these super mega range zoom lenses weren't out there not even for the "Pros" I had a 35-80ish and a 70-200 when i had the AE-1. Any how thanks for all the posts, how about a good rain coat for it, maybe an inexpensive underwater jacket :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.