This Disappears When Logged In

Slow Growth?

Discussion in 'Geckos - Other' started by CrazedHoosier, Aug 14, 2017.

1. CrazedHoosier

CrazedHoosier Active Member

I think my 4 month old crested gecko may be having some delayed growth or something. He/she is 4 months old, and only 8 grams, 5.5 inches long. He/she has never shed once in the 3 months I've had him/her. My leopard gecko is 2 months old, and has outgrown him/her already. Is this normal? Is he/she a normal weight?

2. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

Please give us a better idea of your cresteds enclosure conditions, attach pictures if possible. Heat humidity size substrate etc. Also please give us a description of it's diet, and pics of the gecko itself.

3. CrazedHoosier

He has the 12x12x18 Exo-Terra vivarium. The one made specifically for baby cresteds. His enclosure is usually 70-72 degrees, 50% humidity during the day, 90% humidity at night. He eats Repashy every other day, gets a small slice of banana 2-3 times a week, and gets mealworms/crickets once a month.

Here he is: Instagram
    Instagram

4. AmityReptiles

5. CrazedHoosier

Thanks so much! So I'm not doing anything wrong? I always freak out that I'm going to stunt his growth or something.

6. AmityReptiles

I can't really comment on whether you are doing everything perfectly, ;) maybe someone with more crested gecko experience will give you some tips.

7. Cherux02

Cherux02 Member

I don't think you will see a shed because they eat it. They will get a pale color like a shed is coming and then poof, nothing. I would offer insects like crickets several times a week. That will increase the growth. I haven't ever read a diet that low in insects especially for a growing youngster.

8. CrazedHoosier

Wow, I had no idea. I always was told that too much insects would cause impaction in crested geckos.

9. Cherux02

Cherux02 Member

Impaction particularly from mealworms. Young crickets are light on chitin, i think its termed. That crunky stuff people worry about. I always fed some bugs when I had them.