This Disappears When Logged In

Sliding Glass Door Track for Enclosure

Discussion in 'Enclosures' started by Dnm1012, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Dnm1012

Dnm1012 Elite Member

Where is everyone buying their sliding glass tracks, my tank is going to be 5' long so i need like a 4 1/2' track? I have checked lowes and home depot. Any suggestions?

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

You can make some out of a pc of solid wood.
    Just rips some cuts on a tablesaw with a space between them.

3. Dnm1012

Dnm1012 Elite Member

I am going to use 1/4" glass I don't think a table saw will cut that thick will it?

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Send a PM to "Dragoness", she ordered some a short time go.

5. HydroDragon

HydroDragon Elite Member

If you use the table saw properly you will have no problem cutting a 1/4" track. Just set the Fence to rip a groove 1/4" from the edge of your material. Run it through. Then flip your piece over and run it through the oposite way. Use a wood Chisel or Flat head screw driver to clean the groove out. Its a very simple process. Then you can 45* your ends and nail it all together. And you have your Home made track. This will Save you money too im sure. You can also wax the groove's you cut to make the glass slide easy and not drag so hard.

Just put your thinking cap on. These projects are simple do it yourself things so long as you can read a tape measure.

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

It IS quite an easy thing to do, but the plastic or aluminium tracks are much smoother, and if wood`s used it can shrink slightly, also, it would probably be necessary to have the edge of the glass rounded off, which is VERY expensive, (although you can do it yourself using an oilstone). I personally would use the ready made.

7. kaianuanu

kaianuanu Elite Member

My way of going about this would be to use a solid piece of wood and a router.

8. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Whenever I have had glass cut the shop smoothed the edges as part of the process. Otherwise handling a large peice of plate glass with razor edges would be quite hazardous.

10. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Perfect!!

11. HydroDragon

HydroDragon Elite Member

This is what all glass shops do with any material they cut, There machines smoothe down edges in a matter of minutes. I always talk to local glass installers on job sites im at, as im a contractor by trade.

And i should also mention that glass is actually cheaper then plexi-glass. So dont think your saving any money by going that route like i did haha.

12. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

Yes you can get tempered glass, cut, and smoothed for cheaper than plexi. Just think about it this way.

Glass is just sand and other minerals melted down. Desert full of sand
    PlexiGlass is more petroleum than anything. Oil for gas is better, than using it for plexi.