This Disappears When Logged In

Sliding Glass Door Help!

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by SebastiansExotics, Nov 29, 2014.

1. SebastiansExotics

SebastiansExotics Elite Member

For my tegu enclosure I am doing a sliding glass door.

How did this guy on youtube do his? It looks amazing! It almost looks like he just used a sliding window...

Please help me out guys!

LINK TO VIDEO:
    (look at his tegu enclosure)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSCVI53g86I

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Wow, i really do like his sliding doors, but I don't know how that was done. Can you leave a comment, and ask him?

3. SebastiansExotics

I have a few times but he has not been active on youtube in over a year...

I love his tegu and savannah monitor enclosures! They are both 9x4x3!

4. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

Sliding glass doors typically have a deeper channel at the top so they can be pushed up high enough to get over the bottom sill, then drop down into place.

5. SebastiansExotics

Oh you mean so the door can drop off the track completely?

6. toddnbecka

You can take the glass out by pushing it up then moving the bottom edge back out over the sill, the opposite of the way it goes in. Main thing is to have a high enough sill on the bottom (and deep enough channel on top) that it isn't easily bumped up out of the frame.

7. SebastiansExotics

Do you know how the guy in the video I posted did his? I looks like a sliding window or something...

8. toddnbecka

Looking closely at the door on the monitor enclosure it does look like a regular window frame. You can get them made any size you want then build it into the enclosure. They wouldn't have tempered glass though, but the double pane windows would hold heat a bit better than single pane windows. I wouldn't spend the $$ on the premium gas-filled double or triple glass windows that provide maximum insulation.

9. SebastiansExotics

What are the windows called, and where can i buy them / get custom made?

10. toddnbecka

You can order any size and type you want from Lowes or Home Depot. They're replacement windows for houses.

11. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

Looks like he has a facebook page, you could try hitting him up there I suppose, just search fusion reptiles" and it pops up.

But yes those look like regular house windows that you could order. Agreed they look really cool.

12. SebastiansExotics

He has not been on facebook for a few months either...

13. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Looks like aluminum frame doors on showcase track. That's what we call it here at work.
    Expect to spend some decent dollars.
    IF I were to do that it would cost me approx $100 per door and the track system probably about $60 per unit.

This one in the enclosure section would be the same if I put the glass in a frame. Then these would have cost me more like $250/door for this size.
    There are different track systems you can get but they do roll very well as they are on rollers instead of having the glass make contact.
    http://www.herpcenter.com/reptile-e...rd-enclosures/50-varanus-tristis-habitat.html

14. Rfern

Rfern New Member

The way I'm doing my glass sliding doors are with a c-channel, and custom gut glass from lowes, they cut glass for free, then I'm using cabinet locks.

15. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Most of the Lowes I have seen do not have thick glass that they cut in-store, only thin stuff unsuitable for herps. Make sure you use ta least 1/4", tempered if you can get it.

Though most places will do custom orders, most will also carry in stock a range of "standard" sizes that can be picked up same day. If they have a suitable size in stock, you might be able to go with that for much cheaper than a special order.

I once contacted a company to have a custom window made for my BRB cage, and they outright refused to do so.

Also, because the measurement for normal windows in houses is very particular to get it right, they frequently want to send out a contractor to take the measurements, and may or may not trust you to get it right, therefore, all warranties, etc will be null and void if you do it yourself on a made-to-order window. And they may not allow contractors to install it in a purpose for which it was not intended. Just a heads-up.

My husband is the head of the window and door department at the home depot where he works - Though I don't think it could be that hard to measure a hole where you want the window put in, apparently, it's a very common mistake. Most people think they will save money by taking the measurement themselves, and opt out of the fee to have a contractor take the measurement, and end up paying hundreds for a window they can't use, and can't return.

16. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

We get mistakes all the time on glass. Most often it's just writing down the wrong number after taking the proper measurements. Or mixing up the numbers. Not to mention this is people that do this every day and they still make mistakes.
    Or what I did last month and ordered glass on 40 pcs and it was supposed to be mirror.
    Anyone need some 12 x 12 pieces of glass all polished edges - really good price.

It's nice to get proper measurements from customers though. As 2 ticks past the foot mark doesn't really work.

17. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

There ya go, a multi pane glass door for your tegu, lol. If you really want sliders, check out the stock storm windows at the your local home improvement store. You might be able to just modify your opening size to fit something thats available. The downsides have already been mentioned, thin glass and usually no tempered option. Now I know this is about sliding doors, but you might want to consider using swing or drop down doors instead. The reason being that lizards, and I doubt tegus are any exception, will end up filling the tracks with substrate with their diggin. They tend to throw it everywhere.