This Disappears When Logged In

Sleeping Spiders?

Discussion in 'Arachnids General' started by LoRno, Apr 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

I'm not sure about those lights, never relied too heavily on them before. The moonlight ones are not infrared though, if I'm thinking of the right ones. To be honest, I'm not sure what they are, they make a sorta bluish light. If you asked me personally, I don't trust them, but then again, I haven't done sufficient research on them to have a legitimate excuse yet. I just use human heating pads for my Ts. If need be, you can attach them to the side of the tank rather than underneath, that should help. Otherwise, if you need to use a light I'd go with the infrared. What's the temps in there anyway?

2. LoRno

LoRno Active Member

The temp inside my tank that needs heating is 80 Right by the pad and thne it goes to 71-72 in the middle and thne 70 at the far other side and her tank needs to be at 80-85. And yea, the moonlight ones make the bluish looking light. Ok so you're saying go wit hte infra red if I have to and if that heats up the whole tank thne I don't need the heating pad correcto?

3. LoRno

LoRno Active Member

All right well I took a trip to the local pet store today and did some looking around at possible heat lamps that are currently available to me. They have one, that I think would do the trick, it's a Zoo-med Nocturnal Infra Red 50W heat lamp and it states that it produces next to no light as to not irritate your amphibian, reptile, other small animals, etc. and provides 24 H around hte clock heating. Is this something I should look into as it's sounding good to me right now...and would I need to get a night time bulb (my friend who has a chamleon[yes they're not T's] had to get one as the chamleon started to freak out)?

This is the thing I was thinking of picking up

Nocturnal (Red) Infrared Heat Lamp

Why Ours are the Best:

Ideal 24 hour heat source for all types of reptiles, amphibians, birds or small animals.
    Very little visible light provided so as not to disturb your animal's sleep patterns.
    Excellent for nocturnal viewing of all types of captive animals.
    Spot reflector focuses more heat onto your reptile and minimizes nighttime glare.
    Perfect for use in Zoo Med's "vertically mounted"

And here's the link

http://www.zoomed.com/html/infrared_heat_lamp.php

Or should I get somethign more like this

Nightlight Red Reptile Bulb

Why Ours are the Best:

True red glass (not painted or coated) for better heat transfer. Color will not fade or wear off.
    Ideal 24 hour heat source for all types of reptiles, amphibians, birds or small animals.
    Very little visible light provided so as not to disturb your animals sleeping patterns.
    Perfect "night light" bulb for viewing the nocturnal behavior of your animals.
    Perfect for use in hoods with horizontal sockets (i.e. Zoo Med's Economy or Combination Reptile Hoods.)
    European quality for long burn life.

http://www.zoomed.com/html/nightlight_red.php
    Edit/Delete Message

4. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Firstly, the red bulbs that Matt is speaking about are suitable for night time use, as they don't produce too much light and aren't supposed to disturb nighttime activities.

But secondly, i'm a little concerned about where you intend to put the bulb - there is no way you want to put the bulb inside the Ts enclosure - one because the T would risk getting burned, and also because it would just get too hot in there!

Your temps are fine Lorno - temps for Ts are a rough guideline, and there are differing opinions from different people. also you say that your heat pad brings the warm side up to 80f. We don't use any heat for our Ts and their temps are room temp (right now it's getting warmer over here so about 75f). Never had any problems with them, and in the winter when it's cooler we may use a heat pad on the side of the enclosure but apart from that they are fine. I am worried that if you use a bulb you will increase the temps far too much and disturb your T beyond necessity.

5. LoRno

LoRno Active Member

Well That's why I haven't bought a bulb yet lol. And the lights would be attatched to some clamp thing that shoots light in towards the tank, but it isn't in the tank. HOWEVER!!! I think I found the perfect substitute, what do you guys think.

• Innovative design, 99% heat efficiency
    • Emits a natural "sun-like" infrared heat
    • No light emitted, does not disturb normal photo periods (day/night)
    • Solid ceramic element, suitable for humid environments

here's the link for pics

http://www.exo-terra.com/products/heat_wave_lamp_i.html

6. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

I agree with Heather. With a temperature gradient like that, you shouldn't even need a heat bulb. Your tank seems just fine the way it is.

7. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Heather?!?! Matt, I'm so disappointed in you! :p .. what is my name?! :D

Lorno, something like that is better suited to reptiles, who need higher temps,. you really don't need anything in addition to heat your T, your temps are perfect, and you really run the risk of killing your T by heating it to death if you buy something like that. It would be a waste of your money and totally unnecessary.

8. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

LMAO., what is he like :D

I dont use any heat source for my Ts, only whats coming from the cage they are sat ontop of, and they have been like that all year round, room temp is fine as long as it doesnt drop below 70F

here is a care sheet for you, hope you find it helpful G. Rosea

9. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

LOL, Oh no! Are you serious? Haha, I'm sorry Rachel. I've been staying up WAY too late lately. I need more sleep, and I think this is proof. LOL :eek:

10. LoRno

LoRno Active Member

Well While your warnings are all more then greatly appreciated, I'm goign to try out this bulb as my Brazilian Black has been huggging the wall that has the heater on it so if the whole tank is up then she might be more crawly hopefully and I'm going to be more then careful about heat. If anything I can return it. On other news! I woke up this morning and :eek:! My Brazilian black is on its back! I come home from work and there I have it! I sucessfully went through my first molt. I haven't gotten to see how much bigger she got as she's still huddled in her warm corner. I'll be putting pics soon. And my Rose hair...well she's still normal :p lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.