This Disappears When Logged In

Sleeping Spiders?

Discussion in 'Arachnids General' started by LoRno, Apr 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LoRno

LoRno Active Member

How do you know when a spider goes to bed?

2. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

I don't think spiders and insects sleep in the way that animals do Lorno.

3. LoRno

LoRno Active Member

You sure? Cause right now mine is in the middle of her tank kinda on the wall weith most of her legs covering her eyes and she hasn't moved in many hours. And! if I touch the tank or anything she'll be massivly surprised and will move backwards and kinda get more compacted, but I'm not gonna do that.

4. Bitis Gabonica

Well it would be wise not to do that, as you are probably scaring her. She may be about to molt Lorno, best to just leave her alone.

Arachnids and insects don't have emotions and phsycological needs like us, it's unlikely she's "covering her eyes" to sleep, remember she has 8 of them :p She may be curling up in defence - has she still got a cricket in the tank? or she may be frightened from your movement,, particularly if she is getting ready to molt, when she will be feeling especially vulnerable.

5. LoRno

LoRno Active Member

No no I don't do thigs on purpose to scare her and no she doesn't have a cricket, I don't like leaving it in very long cause then I forget about it. She's been like that for the whole itme i was sleeping and I didn't sleep in the same room and nothign was stirring. This will be her first molt with me so I dunno what she's like right before, I hear every Tarantula has their own behaviours before doing so. I still say she was sleeping :p lol

6. Bitis Gabonica

Sorry, i didn't mean to offend you, I'm not suggesting you do things to purposefully scare her, but for now it may be best to not move about too much in front of the tank or go in and disturb her too much, as her reactions do sound like she is feeling vulnerable and she may be going in to molt.

7. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Its hard to tell when they're asleep and when they're just sitting there, but being nocturnal, they sleep during the day.

8. LoRno

LoRno Active Member

See! Furry says they sleep! lol and you didn't offend me :p it's ok, I know it's hard to tell with new members and only forum messages are hard to read, I'm pretty mucha cool tempered guy :). Looking at her right now (just got home) her body looks pretty dark but her hairs are semi whitish, sure as heck not as white as I've seen some Rose hairs, they're little furry balls of white lol. I'll keep you guys posted.

Speaking of sleeping...You were saying before that UV wasn't too important for T's, What about jsut normal light in general? Like do they prefer darker areas or do they need some light? Cause I can put her right in the corner of my desk and she'd get next to no light what so ever, but she'd be more enclosed.

9. BrianS

BrianS Elite Member

Don't use any light. If you do provide a hiding place.
    Tarantulas will stay in the same position for very very long periods of time. They are the ultimate couch potato. I don't know if they actually sleep. They just don't move around very much.

BTW, There is a good book I highly suggest you read. "The Tarantula Keeper's Guide" can be found in many pet stores and book stores. It has a wealth of info that you will find interesting.

10. Bitis Gabonica

I agree with Brian.. don't use any light for the T, unless it is some kind of night time bulb so that you can see her better (although don't put the bulb in the tank where the T can touch it and get burned). Tarantulas like dark places, and don't like too much light - the natural daylight coming through windows or the light in the room will be enough for the T.

And I still don't know that Ts sleep as such.. :D

11. LoRno

LoRno Active Member

So then you're saying not to put it in the corner of my desk where it will get next to no light form the window what so ever? It would still get light from my bulbs and stuff...but not so much from my windows...and a night time bulb eh? My friend bought a "Moonlight bulb" for his chameleon...That might be kinda neat..but is it a mega necessity?

12. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Light really stresses Ts out. It can stress them to the point of killing them if they're exposed to it a lot. I personally keep all my Ts in the dark and use heat pads for heating. If you really need to heat the enclosure, I'd do so without light if you can.

13. LoRno

LoRno Active Member

Thanks Furry! I'll do that. On another note! I just picked me up a 3 month old Brazilian Black :) She's a cutey pie. I'll take a pic as soon as she's out of the box lol. Gotta think of a name for her too.

14. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Matt I am curious about that statement. Around here you see Tarantulas out in the daytime fairly frequently. Many times taking a stroll across roads. If light is so bad for them why are they out in the middle of the day?

15. Bitis Gabonica

No, I didn't say that it was necessary - but if you did want to light the cage so you could see in there, without stressing the T out, you could use a nighttime bulb outside the tank. We don't use anything though. Our largest T is downstairs in the living room, where during the day the room is light from the window.

I'm curious about that statement too Matt?

16. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

What you're probably seeing are males searching for females. Males will roam far and wide to find girls cause their sole purpose is to mate, which is why they have such short life spans compared to females. They're most likely searching at night too, but they're on a mission, daylight or not. A female could be out to search for new territory or for food, if she's hungry enough. I doubt they're spending their whole days out in broad sunlight though, just part of it.

I'm going off captive Ts though. If they're kept in constant light, with no means of escape, it will most likely stress them way too much. I'm talking about a lot of light though, I mean pretty much constant throughout the day. A wild T, especially a male, can come out in the day to hunt for girls, but it always has the option of retreating to the shade. If you kept a captive T in a cage with a bright light overhead and no means to escape it, the T's chances of living a normal lifespan decrease with all that added stress.

17. Bitis Gabonica

Yeah I can understand that,. Ts are not friendly creatures - haha just ask our greenbottle blue or our togo, or in fact most of our Ts :p - many species are very agressive by nature, while others are very shy. They likely see anything bigger than them as a threat, and need to be able to feel secure and confident in their habitat.

Hope your new T is doing well Lorno, any pics?

18. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Thanks for the clarification Matt I was wondering. Since I have seen them out in the wide open during the height of summer in the middle of the day. And I can tell you in summer that sun is bright! and hot!

19. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Australian funnel web spiders are the same way (and look rather similar to Ts). While the females are comfortable in their burrows, the males are nomadic, constantly searching for females. Its how a lot of people there get bit, cause the wandering males find their way into your house.

20. LoRno

LoRno Active Member

Ok now that we're on the topci of lights, and no no pics yet Gabonica :( she's kinda still a lot scared, last night I put the box in, she crawled out in half an hour and made it under the box lol, then i put her more in the corner where my Habba Hut is and she kidna went on my hand :), not by her choice mind you and then in the morning she had made a burrow, finally she's out of it and resting on my heating pad which brings me to my questions! I have a Zoo-med 10-20 Gallon Heating pad on the left side corner of my tank. It is in the corner because I put a lot of substrate in and the heat wouldn't get to the tank good enough. HOWEVER! My heating pad isn't all that powerful lol. The corner where it is is a good 80 degrees, which for a Brazlian Black isn't too bad, but in the middle it goes to 73 and then the far corner is 70! And I think it's too cold for her. So I phoned up the pet shop and one of the guys that works there says to put in either a red heat lamp, or a moonlight lamp. Now! The red heat lamp is Infra Red and he claims that T's cannot see it? (kinda like in that snake forum question) and in this thread we've been talking about how constant light ****s for Captive T's, which this light would be constant. The red one is also a lot hotter meaning I probably almost wouldn't need the Pad, but the Moonlight one isn't as hot which means I could have the pad light combo, and I'm assuming the moonlight one (gabonica said it wouldn't be bad) is some sort of infra red as well. I need a better heat source then this pad...will these lights be detrimental to my babies :(?!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.