This Disappears When Logged In

Sleep, Sleep, Sleep

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by Reezo, Dec 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reezo

Reezo Active Member

Ever since I got my two red eyed tree frogs, all I ever see them do is sleep.
    I'll be up until 2am and they're always sleeping.

They are sleeping in diff places which means they are moving when I'm not there.

Like last night, at 6pm I held one of them and they jumped on the glass, and its now 10am the next day and one seems to be in the same exact place!!

The other one, is also sleeping all the time, but once or twice I've seen it awake hanging out at the back on the wall; once it was yawning.

I just got them on Dec 26th. I havent purchased any climbing places for it yet. Basically it just has lots of hiding places. One sleeps out in the open, one is always hiding.

They do have lots of light and get lots of misting etc. They dont have any bones showing, or any sores or anything.... When I hold them, they are very jumpy and active and stuff...

Could it be because they're in a new place and are a lil stressed and they're just adjusting and dont want to explore yet?? Or could it be because they dont have a lot of places to jump and climb on?

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

They are VERY nocturnal, and shy. Sometimes I see mine a lot, sometimes I don't. In fact, ever since I got my new tank set up, I hardly see them. I think they are still getting settled. Give them a few weeks before you notice activity.

They do need climbing places though. Don't worry about buying anything. Go outside and collect a few branches. Scrub them down in the bathtub with some diluted bleach and soak and rinse really well. Let them sit out a few days and place in your tank.

3. Reezo

Reezo Active Member

I havent seen em jumping around and exploring once. Has anyone else had this experience?

4. schlegelbagel

You have only had them since the 26th. That's no time at all. It took my guys a good 3 weeks in their original tank for me to actually see them move. Be patient young grasshopper.

5. Reezo

Reezo Active Member

ohhhh okay. good.
    its normal then lol

6. FroggyAtlanta

FroggyAtlanta Member

Mine were observed eating last night. I saw the little bugger perched on the edge of his water bowl. I lost the smallest one, probably due to stress. The other two sleep all day! Their color is turning a nicer green now. Cant wait until they get bigger.

7. schlegelbagel

Yes they sleep all day. They are nocturnal!

8. Reezo

Reezo Active Member

Hey,
    When yours are on your hand, are they pretty slow to move unless they're jumping?!

9. schlegelbagel

They are pretty much never on my hand. RETF are frogs that are more of a look but don't touch kind of animal. I take them out about once every other month just for an inspection to make sure they are healthy.

But when they are on my hand, they either don't move, or the jump to get away. They are very skittish and shy creatures.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.