This Disappears When Logged In

Skin Looking Pale

Discussion in 'Corn Snakes' started by Khorne, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Khorne

Khorne Well-Known Member

While feeding him last night, I realized he looked kinda pale compared to how he usually looks. Naturally, I assume its shedding, but his eyes didnt look Milky and he's been in his hide (On the cold side) mostly so I haven't really had a good look at his eyes before then.

2. Khorne

Khorne Well-Known Member

Oh, right, we dont know his age, but he's still eating pinkies. We've had him around 2-3 weeks, and got him at petco. He's got aspen bedding, two hides (One on each side), a day lamp, a heating pad, and a large tank (Dont know the specifics)

3. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

When did he last shed? He's probably going into shed again, and his blue (milky) phase is either over or will happen some time soon. The snake starts to turn dull just before the eyes get milky, which usually lasts for about 5 days, and then it clears up completely and looks almost normal for about 2 days; the shed happens soon afterwards.
    If everything else is fine, then I wouldn't worry. Skin pallor sometimes indicates health issues, but I highly doubt that this is the case. Wait for that shed:)

4. Khorne

Khorne Well-Known Member

Not sure when he last shed, he hasnt in the 4 weeks I've had him for sure. Assuming it is shedding, just leave him alone for about 10 days right, or till he sheds? After the shed, how long do I have to wait before interacting again.
    Also, food schedule should stay the same, right? (Once a week)

5. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

4 weeks sounds about right, he should be shedding any time soon. Avoid handling him when he's about to shed, especially in the 'milky' phase, as he won't be able to see properly and might get stressed out and try to strike; plus you don't want to damage the new skin that's forming underneath! Leave him be until he sheds, you can handle him pretty much the moment he's out of his old skin. Once a week is a good feeding schedule; some snakes go off food during shed, but keep offering, he might take it (mine does, lol). The prey item should be about 1.5 times as thick as the thickest part of the snake. If you increase his humidity a bit (e.g. by misting), he should have a perfect shed. And remember to check if the shed skin has eyecaps (no holes where the eyes should be). Good luck:)

6. EriksExotics

EriksExotics Elite Member

Two most likely things that are going on:

1. Shedding
    or
    2. Dehydration

I'm pretty sure that he is only shedding and that you have no reason to worry just keep in mind that dehydration is invisible in the beginning stages. One way of testing for hydration is lightly pinching/pulling the skin on the side of the body and watching how long it takes to get back to the snakes body when it's released. When you do this to a hydrated snake, the skin will return very fast - almost instantly. It will be much slower on a dehydrated snake..

I am 99.9% sure that your snake is just shedding but I thought it would be a good idea to give you that info just in case you ever think your snake could be dehydrated :)

I check all of my snakes using that method once a month just to be sure because some of them never drink their water or at least not in front of me so sometimes that scares me a little :p

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Sounds like shedding. Dehydration doesn't make the skin milky,...just loose.

Erik, most snakes, until they get used to you, will not drink when you are watching as this puts them in an exposed position.
    If there is clean water in the cage,...they are drinking

8. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

Wow, I guess I'm lucky then, mine doesn't usually have a problem with me watching him drink:)

9. EriksExotics

EriksExotics Elite Member

Some of them will drink in front of me but the group that won't refuse to eat in front of me as well so that makes sense

10. Khorne

Khorne Well-Known Member

Alright, this seems strange to me. After a few days (Not sure how many, I noticed it yesterday) his skin got back to normal, haven't been able to check his eyes. But there is no shed to be found, and he hasn't spent any time on the hot side (Or outside his hide at all), which he's supposed to do while shedding right?

11. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

He will do what he needs to do. The clearing of the skin is normal. You should have a shed any time now.

12. Khorne

Khorne Well-Known Member

Thanks! I want to keep the shed, as this is his first under my care and I would like to be able to compare as he grows, how would I do this? Would just running it through a laminator work, or would that mess the skin up and look weird?

13. CrazySnakeLady

CrazySnakeLady Elite Member

I don't know about a laminator, but I kept mine in a bag. I still have his first shed and its amazing seeing the comparison :) hope he sheds well!

14. SandBoaMama

SandBoaMama Member

getting him at petco is the first problem...

15. Hkg

Hkg Elite Member

I think it's shedding. When a snake sheds it's skin will go dull and their eyes will get milky, just like every one above said. But then they go back to normal looking colors and their eyes go back to normal. This is when I give my corn a warm bath. The snake should be shedding in a couple days. I wouldnt worry about it. But like morganlefey said, check for eye caps when the shed is complete. The way I do this, is I hold the head part up to light and you can see a reflection type thing. It's hard to explain. To make sure your snake is in shed you can typically look at their belly. If your snake normally has black spots like a lot if corns do, they will be grey. I hope I helped. I doubt I did. And I guess I'm lucky too cause my corn is never shy around me and drinks and eats while I watch every time.

16. Precia

Precia Active Member

17. Khorne

Khorne Well-Known Member

Thanks every one, but it was solved quite some time ago, it was just me being paranoid and he was just shedding.