This Disappears When Logged In

Skif's Spot Continued...

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by fire2225ems, Mar 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mala

Mala Member

Great looking yes, but she is very moody. and doesn't like being pet anywhere but her head and will let you know with a claw through your hand!

I still bear the scars *whimper*

2. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

So much for it curing in 2 hours... 6 hours later it was still tacky. Not to big of a deal since I wasn't really planning on starting the next step until tomorrow anyways...

3. RES/AnoleLover89

RES/AnoleLover89 Elite Member

Sso..... has it cured yet? Surely 6 days is enough :D

4. fire2225ems

LOL yeah, Mala reminded me that I might not have put enough hardener into the resin mix. For the most part it has all hardened nicely, but there are one or two spots I think I am gonna dab some clear silicone over just to be safe.

5. fire2225ems

Ok! Another major day of work on the new tank. Skif better think this is Heaven! I started a little more than 12 hours ago and had a 2 hour break for lunch and a trip to the hardware store. Thankfully I had Mala and Brett to help cause I would still be workin on it otherwise (yeah right! I probably would have given up after an hour or so... ;) )

Today's tally: 7 cans of GE II silicone, about 10 paper plates, 4 disposable roasting pans, 20 or so toothpicks, 4 razor blades, 1 box of gloves, and about a brick and a half worth of Eco Earth that had been expanded and then dried in the oven.

Here are the pics...
    Just starting out...
    [​IMG]

Sabrina checkin to make sure I was doin it right...
    [​IMG]

Break Time!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now Spooky had to check it out. (she approved)
    [​IMG]

Back and one side done....
    [​IMG]

Here she thought I could use some help... (to bad Mala and Brett had deserted me by this time to go play on the computer... ;) )
    [​IMG]

And as of 11pm. The background is DONE!
    [​IMG]

Tomorrow is sanding, priming, and painting the whole outside. Then a couple of days to cure and I will plant the plants. Once I have had a couple of days to make sure all is well, Skif will get to check out his new digs for a final inspection.

6. RES/AnoleLover89

Looks great! Can't wait to see what Skif thinks of it!

7. fire2225ems

Well I'm pretty happy with the look of it now! Still have to add the dirt and plants. But for the most part it is DONE!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a pic of how we built the door and attached the plexi and then Brett siliconed around the plexi for added support.
    [​IMG]

8. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

That's really neato, I wish I could make a cage like that, but first I would need an animal to go in it.... I don't think I could attempt that at 4' x 4' x 5' for kerm, sorry kerm, you have to continue to live in a barren prison compared to skif. (sorry i feel i am rambling, it is almost 4 am..)

9. RES/AnoleLover89

looks awesome, although I will agree it needs some plants to break up all that brown. Too bad I can't make a viv for Dana, he'd destroy everything within an hour

10. fire2225ems

DONE!

Here ya go!
    [​IMG]

Now I just need to finish letting it air out. Everytime I have opened the door I get hit with fumes again... Going to try leaving the door open with a fan blowing to help it along, but can't when we aren't home or the kitties would have a field day! But in a few days Skif should be able to check out the new digs! I am really happy with the results.

11. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

WOW that is amazing ! What an awesome job!! Can you make me one or two hehee<running to hide> LOL

12. fire2225ems

Thanks! And my going rate is $16/hr and I want to say this took me about 70 hours.... ;)

13. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

Gee, I may have to get a job so I can buy one! I think it would be much easier (for me!) than building one, and it will look nice! I haven't even commited to the size for Rool's yet. Any idea how much the finished product weights? Gotta consider the shipping price!:p

14. fire2225ems

It's pretty heavy, I would say about 125-150 lbs...

15. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

See Shell!
    You may be onto a cottage industry!;)
    For in your spare time!

16. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

can I order three of them please, and can you have them ready by this evening ?? heheh

17. kiraturmc

kiraturmc Elite Member

Wow - what beautiful work!! I love it!

-kir

18. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Turned out great Shell. Can't wait to see how the plants fill out.

19. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

I liked the elephant dung more than the rhino dung.[​IMG]

I am just joking with you! It really looks awesome! :D

But there is nothing inside? You still owe us the last pic!;)

20. fire2225ems

That's because there is still nothing inside... I'm still waiting for the fumes to go away... I might try again today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.