This Disappears When Logged In

Skif's Spot Continued...

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by fire2225ems, Mar 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

I figured I would start another thread to continue this since the other one was getting a bit pic heavy. Anyone that wants to read it start to finish here's the other thread:
    http://www.herpcenter.com/general-construction/21569-making-new-home-skif.html

So to recap: Liz and Mala came over a couple of weeks ago to help me work on the layout and getting the great stuff in place.
    [​IMG]

I also built a pond out of GreatStuff that night as well.
    [​IMG]

Last weekend I went ahead and worked on painting it. I coated the whole thing in black acrylic paint and then added gray on top and added mossy green like accents on top.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I still need to cover it with fiberglass, maybe I will do that sometime this weekend.

So tonight I decided it was time to stop procrastinating and start working on the "fun" part (yes that was said sarcastically). I started painting the cave area with black. And Liz, I can tell you I was cursing your name the whole time I was working on this! (It was her idea to add the cave in with Styrofoam)
    [​IMG]
    The acrylic paint doesn't really want to stick to the GreatStuff, but I can get it covered pretty well and then when I go back for a second coat that usually will cover the "holes".
    [​IMG]
    So here is the whole thing with the black coating on it. I will work on adding rock colors tomorrow or sometime over the weekend.
    [​IMG]

Now, I also found out that I have a little problem with the GreatStuff and the tiles. It seems that the GS is pulling the tiles off the wall.
    [​IMG]
    I ended up using some screws to close up most of the gaps and will be covering all the seams with silicone.

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

*ducks and hides from Shell's wrath*

Sorry about the GS pulling the tiles away! That sucks!

3. fire2225ems

Yeah, I think I got it fixed for the most part.

I was planning on using the silicone to caulk the seams anyways, so no huge loss.

4. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Hie-hie, at first the pond looked like elephant dung!:p

You are really making progress!;)

5. fire2225ems

LOL thanks, I think! ;)

6. Mala

Mala Member

LMAO!

It kinda does tho, sorry shell :p

Time for a weekend with the caulk gun.....

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Well you WERE going for a natural look!;)

8. fire2225ems

Yeah, I guess I did...

9. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

From the floor of Africa to your enclosure.:p I think every thing is looking good so far.

10. fire2225ems

Thanks everyone! I'm getting excited again. I am about to go up and work on the caves colors, and then Mala is coming to help me work on the silicone and cocoa husk tonight. I can't use the caulk gun for long thanks to my wrist, so I need the help... ;)

11. schlegelbagel

Hey shell, take a utility knife and cut the tube of caulk up the center in half. I never use the gun.

12. fire2225ems

Good idea!

13. fire2225ems

Ok so I got the cave painted. I REALLY like how it turned out. (5 hours later) I ended up using colors that would match as close as possible to the tiles. I think I got it pretty well done.
    [​IMG]

I then put the pond in next to it and decided that it looked WAY to blue and green.
    [​IMG]

It has since been repainted to match closer to the rest of the stuff. Camera is still upstairs I will upload pics later... ;) Feeling lazy right now...

14. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

But,.. but,... but,... that would be natural!
    It is an algae covered, moldy elephant turd!:p

But it still is looking great!

15. fire2225ems

Ok here is the newly repainted pond.
    [​IMG]

I worked on covering all the painted stuff with the fiberglass resin today. I decided to do this first because if I go over or drip a little bit, it's ok cause the silicone and cocoa husk should be able to cover it back up. This should be easier than trying to paint the resin around the areas already covered with cocoa husk.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (now the pond just looks like a shiny elephant turd...) ;)

Now, some issues I did run into. Using the fiberglass on the styrofoam where it wasn't covered in GS... It actually started disovling the styrofoam.
    [​IMG] (see the areas that are white)
    This is the bottom of the pond, and it used to be a flat sheet of foam insulation. [​IMG]

I think I am just going to cover all the holes in the cave area with silicone. The bottom of the pond I'm not to worried about.

I also found that you have to work VERY quickly with the resin. The bottle said that you should have 15 min of working time, I found it was closer to 10. Though this also means that it cures in 2 hours.

We did get all the seams in the tiles covered up with silicone. I don't think it looks to bad... Most of it won't be visible anyways.
    [​IMG]

And of course through it all, Sabrina was overseeing the whole operation.
    [​IMG]

16. fire2225ems

Ya know, now that I am thinking about it and looking back at the pictures. The only areas that had a problem with the resin were the flat areas. The ones that I hadn't cut or anything... Interesting.

17. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

It's coming along nicely! What a great looking cat :)

18. fire2225ems

Thanks! and doesn't she know it! ;)

19. schlegelbagel

Sabrina. Always a good helper.

20. RES/AnoleLover89

RES/AnoleLover89 Elite Member

She has very nice cheekbones ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.