This Disappears When Logged In

Size of Food and Frequency of Feeding for Adult Corn Snake

Discussion in 'Corn Snakes' started by texasreb, Dec 15, 2013.

1. texasreb

texasreb Active Member

I've been feeding my 12 year old corn snake one adult mouse (frozen/thawed) once per week. She seems to always be hungry.

I recently switched to a small rat and she was able to go a week and a half before she acted really hungry again.

What do y'all feed your full sized snakes and how often do you feed them? Is it okay to go back and forth between smaller more frequent feedings and larger less frequent feedings or is consistency the key?

2. lisas

lisas Elite Member

From what I understand, you don't have to be completely consistent because in the wild, they aren't on a schedule. They just eat whenever, so sometimes a week, sometimes 9 days... Mine had fat rolls when I first got her around 4 years old. After getting her checked, it was recommended that I cut feedings down to every 2 weeks instead of once per week. That has worked out well. She's 9 and still eating the same way (F/T adult mouse). She's in the right condition now, pretty much. She still has just a few rolls, but nothing harmful.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I feed my corns weekly....on rat pups. Those are about the size of a large adult mouse but have more meat on them.

4. texasreb

texasreb Active Member

My corn is about 5' long and doesn't appear to be overly fleshy.

The "small rat" is larger than the "adult mouse" but not by much. She had no trouble getting it down.

On a similar subject--my snake will only eat rats/mice from PetCo. I've tried other store vendors and even a freshly killed and never thawed mouse. She readily and greedily eats PetCo critters, but no other. Has anyone else run into a similar problem?

Thanks for the responses!

5. Merlin

That's a new one on me!

6. brooksy

brooksy Elite Member

None of my 20+ colubrids are picky with type of feeder. But I have BPs that are picky (not a surprise) but not a single snake of mine seems to care who I purchased my feeders through.
    I have some of my adults on 10 or 14 day feeding schedules as they were a bit chunky when I got them. My lean adults are fed approximately weekly. As nature doesn't know if it's feeding day or not

7. Merlin

Indeed. My corns are like my boas,...pure D garbage disposals! They would eat till they bust.

8. texasreb

texasreb Active Member

Well great! My snake is a brand-baby!

9. lisas

lisas Elite Member

Mine eats any type too. I don't get how they are different at "Petco" unless she is a brand baby and the packaging instigates her hunger response, sorta like what commercials for McDs do to some people.

10. texasreb

texasreb Active Member

When I run out of my current supply--I'm totally trying her on another brand. Maybe it was strictly co-incidence that she only eats one brand? My thought was that perhaps the odor or taste was somehow different. I have no clue...