This Disappears When Logged In

Sisal Rope

Discussion in 'Cage Furniture - Accessories' started by Frognut, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

I needed to make another access for my Leopard Gecko's to reach the top level of their double decker tank - 'cause I split it down the middle and each side needs access.

So, I used a parrot ladder and wrapped it solid with sisal rope and it rests at a nice angle from the bottom to the top level. It provides great traction for the gecko's.

However, I had to remove it -- it SMELLED! The tank had already air dried from the paint, so when I added the ladder it was very obvious where the smell was coming from....

Is this stuff safe? Do I need to just let it air out (outside the tank) or do I need to find another type of rope to use?

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi Steph, I know they sell things for parrots that are covered in sisal rope, so I don`t think it`s toxic, unless you`ve applied something over it (paint/dye)?

3. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Sisal rope, rugs give me an allergic reaction for some reason, its very strong smelling to me and in a humid environment tend to smell musty. I have a hard time walking in the carpet sections looking for rugs.

4. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

I have seen stuff made out of sisal rope - for cats, birds and what not, which is why I got it, but I was overwhelmed by the smell when I put it in the tank. :-&

I bought a plain wooden ladder for parrots and wrapped it with normal sisal rope from Home Depot -- I don't think there was anything on/in it, but I threw out the packaging...

It's on top of the table - maybe if it airs out and loses some of the smell I can try it again. I'll need to come up with another brilliant idea though, because I need access to the top level on both sides of the tank now.

5. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Strange, our cat towers are wrapped in that stuff, and i have never noticed anything.

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

New sisal does have a strong odor.
    Just let it lay out for a bit and the odor will lessen. The reason it has no odor on the cat posts is that it has been exposed to the air.