This Disappears When Logged In

Siliconed Parts

Discussion in 'Cage Furniture - Accessories' started by pjrojo, Dec 19, 2012.

1. pjrojo

pjrojo Subscribed User Premium Member

When I set up my Dart Frog vivarium I siliconed these mushroom halves to the glass, I’d like to remove them so I can make some changes in there, Any ideas on how I can get them off the glass without me having to remove the frogs and/or doing a break down…

8289373634_d36e57c766_z.jpg

8289373558_b54e17c929_z.jpg

Thanks for your help and ideas

Attached Files:

2. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Can you get your hand below the shrooms? If so, try some fishing line. Just tie both ends around a pen or pencil and use your thumbs to keep the line as close to the glass as possible...then floss.

Oh, and next time you do something like this...try magnets instead ;)

3. pjrojo

Both great ideas Matt, thanks!!!!!

4. justor

justor Elite Member

That thing looks like a cow pie haha.

5. Vers

Vers Elite Member

No problem :) It's the same technique I used to remove the ugly badges from my car--worked like a charm. Also, you may want to start from the back and work your way towards yourself, pulling the line instead of pushing it.

6. pjrojo

They kinda feel like them too....ha

That is the exact plan for tomorrow

7. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Question is...why were you touching cow pies?

Actually...let's leave that as a rhetorical question.

8. pjrojo

LOL!!!! I used to have 15 head of cattle...

9. DragonsKeepers

DragonsKeepers Subscribed User Premium Member

Any suggestion on particluar magnets to go through glass and hold without issue? I've seen the magnet shelf items, etc. but for making my own, is there a size to go with as a minimum? I was on amazon and found hundreds of magnets, but most people use them for holding papers to a fridge, so I'm not exactly trusting they know what 'strong' means.

10. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Magnets can be extremity powerful--just look at the discs they use on cranes for moving scrap metal. You can find small permanent magnets that can posses upwards of 100lbs of pull/holding value. Having glass or plexi in between will obviously rob the magnet of some of its strength, but the magnetic filed can be effective enough to hold the object on the other side. It really depends on the magnets pull/holding value along with the thickness and composition of the glass/plexi and weight of the object you intend on holding, but I'd think a magnet with 10-15lbs of holding value would easily suffice for something like this.

11. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If you have craft stores like Hobby Lobby, check there., They have craft magnets that are quite strong. YOu don't want the rubberized ones, those aren't very powerful. They have metal magnetic discs that will surprise you with their strength. The ones that are the size of a quarter are what you want.

12. DragonsKeepers

DragonsKeepers Subscribed User Premium Member

Thanks, I will check around - I've never dealt much with magnets for holding up objects. I figure I can always use a few more if needed. I'm trying to hold a background styrofoam piece to the glass now, but don't want to permanently attach it with silicone. I will have other uses in the next couple of months as I expand and rebuild some of my habitats.

13. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I have strong hands and its all I can do to pull the quarter sized ones apart.

14. pjrojo

It took about a minute and a half each to 'floss' them off the glass, I just used fishing line and gloved up my hands and started sawing away, Now I can drop in some new plants, Thanks for the idea Matt