This Disappears When Logged In

Silicon Issues

Discussion in 'HH General Discussion' started by DimitrisDaisy, May 10, 2011.

1. DimitrisDaisy

DimitrisDaisy Elite Member

Okay, so I was just told that the silicon I used in my CWD's tank is toxic. How do I remove it? It's stuck very tight to the glass and I'm not sure if I'll be able to get it off at all!

These are pics of the areas where I used the silicon. I needed something to attach my clamp lights to, so I siliconed the wood on there. The clamp lamps are inside the enclosure, but my lizard can't reach them (I painstakingly made absolutely certain he couldn't!!) This is not his forever enclosure, but it will be a few months yet before I can get him into his new one as I haven't begun working on it yet. What can I do?

Attached Files:

2. Knox

Knox Elite Member

Are you sure the silicone you used is toxic? What makes you believe it is?

3. DimitrisDaisy

MLD said that the kind I used (for patching bathtubs) is toxic. Well, she said the kind used in bathrooms and kitchens is toxic, and bathtubs are in bathrooms, so I think it falls under that category. lol

4. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

5. DimitrisDaisy

Thank you :)

I found this in that same post... I'm not using it in water, BUT it is the kind used for bathtubs, so I'm thinking it's still an issue for sure.

How do I remove it? A few minutes ago I tried to get a knife inbetween the glass and wood but no luck. I'm thinking I'm going to need a solvent! I'll go to Home Depot this weekend and see if they can help.

Is there any kind of temporary enclosure I can keep him in? I have a 20 gallon high but no screen lid to go with it, it's just hanging out on the floor right now. I have seen no problems in Dimitri so far, but I really really don't want any to develop!

6. Knox

Knox Elite Member

Gotcha. If it contains fungicides you are right, it probably isn't safe.

Can't help you with how to remove it other than just scraping. If you used it for anything other than immersed in water, I don't know that it would bother your Dragon. That is just my opinion, which could be wrong. But without the chemicals leaching into the water, it wouldn't seem to pose a problem once it has cured and the agents have dissipated.

7. Knox

Knox Elite Member

If someone disagrees with me, please don't be shy. I would rather be corrected than have someone take my false information to heart.

8. DimitrisDaisy

There was a post right above yours if you didn't see it :)

9. mld

I've always heard/read on here to stick with silicon made for aquariums or 100% silicone!
    I have removed silicone before using a razor blade. I'm not sure that where it is located that it will hurt though! Is it the wood part that is attached to your glass to hang you lamps from?
    Not too sure if it would be a problem there, I would wait for an expert opinion on this one!

10. DimitrisDaisy

Yeah, it's only on the wood where my lamps hang. No place else at all. Lizard cannot touch it, and if there were fumes, wouldn't the travel up and escape through the top? I'm hoping it's all actually fine, but I really don't want to risk it. I'll have to get some razor blades and take them down... Not sure what my clamp lamps will attach to after that though! @_@ I get myself into some pretty bad predicaments some times

11. mld

I wouldn't worry about it, because of where it is located until someone more experienced with using silicons comes by!

12. DimitrisDaisy

Alrighty, thank you :) Hopefully somebody gets back to me soon