This Disappears When Logged In

Signs of Molting?

Discussion in 'Arachnids General' started by nikkistorms, Oct 18, 2012.

1. nikkistorms

nikkistorms Elite Member

IMG_0420.jpg IMG_0288.jpg
    She has started digging up her substrate and piling it up around her log, she has web stuck from the top of the log to the left side of the log. She appears to be enclosing herself into the log. Is this by any chance her trying to get ready to molt. I also have not seen her eat. Two superworms have disappeared out of the bowl on different days. But I don't know how to tell if she has actually eaten or if they somehow escaped and dug into the substrate.

2. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

She's just making herself comfy :) don't feed her for a few days just incase. If she feels safe and sound she will flip over and molt. If you leave any kind of feeder in there it will hurt them. They are very delicate when and after a molt.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  3. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

Depending on how old she is if she's sexually mature she might be making a burrow to lay a sack.

4. nikkistorms

nikkistorms Elite Member

What? A sack? You mean as in baby spiders?!?

5. nikkistorms

nikkistorms Elite Member

If I cut the legs off some crickets and put them in the glass bowl will it be alright to leave them in there. that way if she isn't molting I wont starve her.

6. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

Nope. No babies. Like reptiles with unfertilized eggs. Just a sac. She will think she has babies. She might hold onto the sac for a while. You can grab it from her with tongs. She won't usually eat if she is still holding the sac and might be aggressive. But she'll be peachy when you take it away. Won't even care five minutes after lol.

DON'T LEAVE ANYTHING LIVE IN THERE IF YOU SUSPECT A MOLT. Even a small cricket can hurt a spider when it's in molt-and after. Before it's exoskeleton hardens it's very vulnerable. It will be a light colour after the molt. When it hardens the spider will have really nice bright colours. Like a snake after a shed. Then you can feed.

7. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

Also she wont starve. Spiders can and do go months with out food. If they're molting or not. You'd have to try REALLY hard to ever starve a spider.

8. nikkistorms

nikkistorms Elite Member

Ok so in the morning I usually take out any uneaten food. I will take everything out and make sure her waters changed. Then I will just leave her be for what, say a 3 days? if she hasn't molted or laid a sac I can go ahead and feed her?

9. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

Oh I doubt she's laid a sac. I just thought I should mention she might:) You can offer her insects on tongs. If she doesn't attack them then she's likely going to molt. Just for precautions no food to be left in over night :) and it if makes you feel any better she's kicking around dirt and webbing because she's comfortably and is settling into her knew home which she likes! Shes just doing the equivalent to rearranging the furniture in a newly bought house.

10. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

EDIT: she's not sexually mature so she might WHEN she's full grown. nothing to worry about as of now.

11. nikkistorms

nikkistorms Elite Member

I try to offer food on tonges and she has never taken it. She kinda backs up real quick like. That is why I started leaving them in the glass bowl. Two supers have gone missing out of the bowl on two different days. She shows no interest in any kind of food so far. Unless she at those supers. Do they not leave a carcass of whatever they eat?

12. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

Yes they do. A small chunck of leftover shell can usually be seen laying around. It might under he log?

13. nikkistorms

nikkistorms Elite Member

Well still same issues... removed the crickets again bc she piled substrate up around her log and put web around the ENTIRE opening so nothing could get in. I took that as the crickets were bothering her so I took them out. Still not acting like shes molting... it will be a month on sunday since I got her and she still hasnt shown interest in her food. I mist her cage once every 3 days. I have a light on the outside of her tank facing just away from her to give her a lil heat. it gets pretty cold in my bedroom where she is. Can anyone tell me the exact temp and humidity she is supposed to have? someone at petco said that is the #1 reason for not eating. I can't find any exact info...

14. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

Bah don't listen to Petco.
    Also sure give me a second I'm at dinner.

15. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

Any between 70-80 is fine. Maybe try to get it up higher will get some activity. Though she is just burrowing. The humidity should be 50-60 percent